Eccup Reservoir Roman Settlements

Places to explore
simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

There is a lot of historic evidence of there being a Roman settlement underneath Eccup Reservoir. Anyone else heard the same?
Simon -H-

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

As in a sunken village, or the resevoir was built on the site? More info would be good, it may even tie in with the Moortown info and Farrar Lane?

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

The reservoir in my knowledge was built over the old settlement but even then it probably wasn't known that it was there (would have been deep underground).
Simon -H-

ryouga

Post by ryouga »

There could have been a Roman settlement under Eccup but I don't have any definite info.It's thought that Roman sites were in that area. When I worked at the development agency some years ago Leeds Uni wanted to build sports pitches and facilities on land where King Lane joins Eccup Lane. Some archaeological groups contended that Roman artefacts or ruins would be disturbed or wrecked. To my knowledge though not much in the way of archaeological digs has ever been done near Eccup to verify if any settlements are there.Maybe we need Time Team to go have a look!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I havent got the info with me but i'm sure i've seen a map where the remains of an old roman altar were found! Anyone know more?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Phill_d wrote: I havent got the info with me but i'm sure i've seen a map where the remains of an old roman altar were found! Anyone know more? It's not quite Eccup but on the fields behind Braim Wood school on Wetherby Road there is a Roman Altar (site of) marked on the maps beyond the school playing fields but before you get to what was the caravan park.I went to the school but I can't recall ever seeing anything up there although several of the teachers were quite proud of the fact.Given that the school is now closed and the price of land I'd expect that it is only a matter of time before the massive school site is sold off to some developer for some more mock-tudor executive detached houses.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I know this thread is old but I hope this will be still be of interest. In John Mayhall's 'Annals of Leeds and the surrounding district' published in 1860 it states under the year 1702:-In the neighbourhood of Eccup moor and Addle, near Leeds, were discovered the ruins of a Roman town, which seems to have been very considerable, for, in digging no deeper than necessity obliged to make way for the plough, as many stones were extracted as served to build two walls, the one a yard high and twenty-seven roods long : the other a yard and a half high, and fifty-two roods long. They were rough stones, the foundations of houses, many of which were three or four courses high. Fragments of urns of a very large size were also found; and the remains of two funeral monuments, one inscribed PIENTISSIMA, another D, M, S, CADIDINIAE, FORTUNA PIA V, A, X, (Vixit Ann, X.)I wonder where exactly the site was and what became of the finds?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Leodian wrote: I know this thread is old but I hope this will be still be of interest. In John Mayhall's 'Annals of Leeds and the surrounding district' published in 1860 it states under the year 1702:-In the neighbourhood of Eccup moor and Addle, near Leeds, were discovered the ruins of a Roman town, which seems to have been very considerable, for, in digging no deeper than necessity obliged to make way for the plough, as many stones were extracted as served to build two walls, the one a yard high and twenty-seven roods long : the other a yard and a half high, and fifty-two roods long. They were rough stones, the foundations of houses, many of which were three or four courses high. Fragments of urns of a very large size were also found; and the remains of two funeral monuments, one inscribed PIENTISSIMA, another D, M, S, CADIDINIAE, FORTUNA PIA V, A, X, (Vixit Ann, X.)I wonder where exactly the site was and what became of the finds? There's a roman road running from Ilkley across guiseley, carlton, bramhope cookridge and onto the roman camp at Adel. This is in the field on the right of eccup lane past Adel Mill as you climb to five lane ends. The roman road carries on across alwoodley passing eccup. This is recorded in histories of the area and on old maps. I have been told the owner of the field won't allow a dig for the camp. Probably doesn't like Tony Robinson.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Parksider. Your final sentence made me
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

The Parksider wrote: Leodian wrote: I know this thread is old but I hope this will be still be of interest. In John Mayhall's 'Annals of Leeds and the surrounding district' published in 1860 it states under the year 1702:-In the neighbourhood of Eccup moor and Addle, near Leeds, were discovered the ruins of a Roman town, which seems to have been very considerable, for, in digging no deeper than necessity obliged to make way for the plough, as many stones were extracted as served to build two walls, the one a yard high and twenty-seven roods long : the other a yard and a half high, and fifty-two roods long. They were rough stones, the foundations of houses, many of which were three or four courses high. Fragments of urns of a very large size were also found; and the remains of two funeral monuments, one inscribed PIENTISSIMA, another D, M, S, CADIDINIAE, FORTUNA PIA V, A, X, (Vixit Ann, X.)I wonder where exactly the site was and what became of the finds? There's a roman road running from Ilkley across guiseley, carlton, bramhope cookridge and onto the roman camp at Adel. This is in the field on the right of eccup lane past Adel Mill as you climb to five lane ends. The roman road carries on across alwoodley passing eccup. This is recorded in histories of the area and on old maps. I have been told the owner of the field won't allow a dig for the camp. Probably doesn't like Tony Robinson. Hi Parksider i think you will find if a Roman Camp is on his land he does not have a lot of say in the matter of archaeologists digging on his land.I dont mean Time Team it might be his land but if they want to do a dig then i dont think he can stop them.I think they can even stop him planting a crop in said field if they want to dig that season thats if he grows crops on the land were the camp is.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.