Two possible tunnels??

Places to explore
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

There's another biggish outflow nearly under Leeds bridge. I always wonder if it's anything to do with the Kings mill goit. It looks big enough to canoe up.
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

Phill_d wrote: There's another biggish outflow nearly under Leeds bridge. I always wonder if it's anything to do with the Kings mill goit. It looks big enough to canoe up. I was stood looking at that today, thinking I'd have to get the lads dinghy out..
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

simonm wrote: Phill_d wrote: There's another biggish outflow nearly under Leeds bridge. I always wonder if it's anything to do with the Kings mill goit. It looks big enough to canoe up. I was stood looking at that today, thinking I'd have to get the lads dinghy out.. It's tempting isn't it? Mate it goes somewhere? Thoughts of breaking through into those old toilets under city square spring to mind. Medieval dams and all sorts. It's unknown territory.
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

It'd be bleeding great to go up there. Mind you, I reckon that could be the most dangerouse imho! That'd be some serious mission if you ask me. The gear you'd need would be too inhibitve I reckon..
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yeah I know. I don't like water explores. Consequences are a bit sobering

Si

Post by Si »

Phill_d wrote: There's another biggish outflow nearly under Leeds bridge. I always wonder if it's anything to do with the Kings mill goit. It looks big enough to canoe up. According to the large scale 1847 Godfrey map, the King's Mill area between Sovereign Street and Swinegate was almost more water than land, creating two or three "islands" one of which is named "Isle of Cynder" and another "Paddock." Were all these stretches of water filled-in or just covered over? In other words, are they still there?    

LS1

Post by LS1 »

soz Si, cant answer your question, but if you take a look in the Civic Trust bookshop, there is a publication that was made in regard to the Kings Mill excavations they did there in the early 1990's before they built over the sie, and I think it does say something about the water corses in the area.From memory there is a watercourse that is culverted and runs under Swinegate that was part of the millrace for the Kings mill. When I get home if I can find the book I will have a look for you and see if I can psot a picture!

Si

Post by Si »

Thanks, LS1. That area must have looked very different from today.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yes it was a very extensive system. as you say it was more of an island in the early days Si. As time went on and Leeds got built up with more industry It was built into a few tunnels running as far as the Parish church. They've already found all the old timber work of the dams. It woud be good if Lee can post that pic as I've not seen it yet. You can still see a Kings mill pad stone in the wall of river bank near Soveriegn street. There must be lots of this old system still in place.    

Si

Post by Si »

Yes, Phill. There appears to be (on the map) three main outlets into the Aire. One right by Leeds Bridge, and two more slightly further up-stream. The area is mainly industrial with mills (corn, flax and oil,) dye houses, malt kilns, foundries and print shops. Only two pubs, though - The Old Dusty Miller Inn and The Mill Stone Inn, either side of King's Mill.