Locks and Quays

Places to explore
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Just watched a programme on ITV1 titled as above, a journey charting the crossing of England from the Hull to L'pool by water.Tonight finished with them passing through Castleford and Ferrybridge on the narrow boat The Kirkstall Flyer.Next week they come thorugh Leeds along the Aire & Calder and feature a Water Wheel and the Locks. Looks as though it will be well worth watching.    

stevief

Post by stevief »

chameleon wrote: Just watched a program on ITV1 titled as above, a journey charting the crossing of England from the Hull to L'pool by water.Tonight finished with them passing through Castleford and Ferrybridge on the narrow boat The Kirkstall Flyer.Next week they come thorugh Leeds along the Aire & Calder and feature a Water Wheel and the Locks. Looks as though it will be well worth watching. I saw it and was reminded of a programme the BBC did many years ago.They started at Liverpool and travelled East.I can remember the presenter commenting on the noise from Kirkstall Forge,which is completely hidden by trees.No such problems now.Do you think Sooty will make an appearance?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

stevief wrote: chameleon wrote: Just watched a program on ITV1 titled as above, a journey charting the crossing of England from the Hull to L'pool by water.Tonight finished with them passing through Castleford and Ferrybridge on the narrow boat The Kirkstall Flyer.Next week they come thorugh Leeds along the Aire & Calder and feature a Water Wheel and the Locks. Looks as though it will be well worth watching. I saw it and was reminded of a programme the BBC did many years ago.They started at Liverpool and travelled East.I can remember the presenter commenting on the noise from Kirkstall Forge,which is completely hidden by trees.No such problems now.Do you think Sooty will make an appearance? (Not unless they show a few old chimneys)

stevief

Post by stevief »

chameleon wrote: stevief wrote: chameleon wrote: Just watched a program on ITV1 titled as above, a journey charting the crossing of England from the Hull to L'pool by water.Tonight finished with them passing through Castleford and Ferrybridge on the narrow boat The Kirkstall Flyer.Next week they come thorugh Leeds along the Aire & Calder and feature a Water Wheel and the Locks. Looks as though it will be well worth watching. I saw it and was reminded of a programme the BBC did many years ago.They started at Liverpool and travelled East.I can remember the presenter commenting on the noise from Kirkstall Forge,which is completely hidden by trees.No such problems now.Do you think Sooty will make an appearance? (Not unless they show a few old chimneys) I'll be watching out for those!

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

wasn't there going to be a Leeds Ship canal at one time?I think some of the infrastructure was actually put in place-swing bridges etc(I remember seeing one at Stourton), and often wondered abouit the scheme: if indeed there was one. 25 years ago I sailed a narrow boat from Liverpool to wakefield. It was fascinating-the views along the route wouild be unrecognisable today.
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

Si

Post by Si »

Yes, I went from Rodley to Blackburn and back on a long boat in 1977. It'll be totally different in towns now.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Great, but it would have been nice to linger a little longer at the facinating places en route. I suppose they only have so much budget for the series though. And they couldnt afford Sooty thank GodHeres the programme guideA new series of the TV programme "Locks and Quays" starts on Thursday 3rd January, on ITV Granada in the North West. It is due to be shown on ITV in the Yorkshire region at a later date.This is the third series of ten programmes and this time the series is presented by canal enthusiast, actor and former keeper of "Sooty", Matthew Corbett.Matthew will be taking a coast-to-coast journey from the North Sea to the Irish Sea, via the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, with inserts of visits to other locations. The first lap of the journey is along the Humber and into the port town of Goole, heading to the start of the Aire and Calder Navigation.Briefly, the remaining programmes will feature:• Programme 2 - Aire and Calder, Wakefield, Leeds, Ellesmere Port• Programme 3 - Leeds and Liverpool, Kirkstall, Saltaire• Programme 4 - Leeds and Liverpool, Bingley Five Rise• Programme 5 - Leeds and Liverpool, Skipton, Worsley• Programme 6 - Leeds and Liverpool, Foulridge, Burnley Embankment and Weavers' Triangle• Programme 7 - Leeds and Liverpool, Blackburn• Programme 8 - Leeds and Liverpool, Johnsons Hillock and Wigan Lock flights, Bradford Canal• Programme 9 - Leeds and Liverpool, Appley Bridge, Parbold, Rufford, Burscough, Stanley Ferry Workshop• Programme 10 - Leeds and Liverpool, Liverpool Canal Link, River Mersey
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I don't suppose someone could record this on DVD for me please. I will reimburse you for the DVD's and postage etc etc etc. If you can please get in [email protected] regards in advance!
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,Here is a site which may be of interest:http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/ll/ll3.htmIan.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Chrism wrote: I don't suppose someone could record this on DVD for me please. I will reimburse you for the DVD's and postage etc etc etc. If you can please get in [email protected] regards in advance! If you have sattelite tv you can view ytv. Not quite as easy as 9xx whatever BBC Yorkshire is on but you can add it under services as an other channel. Details can be found on how www.wildsat.com
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/