Underground Mabgate.

Places to explore
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Fascinating and interesting maps Si.The 1835 map shows 2 'Tea gardens'. I wonder what exactly they comprised and did. I would guess they were for the upper and middle class but not the populous working class, though I may be wrong.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The 1835 map shows a railway running from what would be York Road to the 'Leeds and Selby Railway' in Oswinthorp. I used to live in Osmondthorpe and knew that a foot path running off Osmondthorpe Lane to the present railway was where the old railway track was but I don't think I knew it ran to York Road. I notice there was even an 'Engine house' on the old railway.When I was a kid in the late 1940s to very early 1950s I used to play in an industrial site between Ings Road and the East End Park Working Men's Club football ground. I'm fairly sure (but not certain) that there was a small length of rail track in the site and there was even a small train. If my recollection is right I wonder if it was ever an offshoot line of the old railtrack, as it was fairly close by that. It may though have just been a short bit of track always only in the site that was used to easily move things around. I wish I could be sure of what I think I recall being there.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: The 1835 map shows a railway running from what would be York Road to the 'Leeds and Selby Railway' in Oswinthorp. I used to live in Osmondthorpe and knew that a foot path running off Osmondthorpe Lane to the present railway was where the old railway track was but I don't think I knew it ran to York Road. I notice there was even an 'Engine house' on the old railway.When I was a kid in the late 1940s to very early 1950s I used to play in an industrial site between Ings Road and the East End Park Working Men's Club football ground. I'm fairly sure (but not certain) that there was a small length of rail track in the site and there was even a small train. If my recollection is right I wonder if it was ever an offshoot line of the old railtrack, as it was fairly close by that. It may though have just been a short bit of track always only in the site that was used to easily move things around. I wish I could be sure of what I think I recall being there. Trouble is there's so much dotted around the site now - anyone remember where we looked at this to point our friend in the right direction?

jim

Post by jim »

I think the engine house would have contained a stationary winding engine to pull wagons up the steep gradient from the southern end of this railway Leodian - what was called an "inclined plane" in fact.

jim

Post by jim »

Rapkin's Map of 1850

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks chameleon and jim.Playing around was great fun as a child but sadly I've forgotten most of what was around in the late 1940s to early 1950s where I played as a kid, as making a mental note for the future was not a thing I did! I wonder if kids today will record and save things on their camcoders and camera phones for the future (though I suspect not). I must go back to Osmondthorpe one day to see how it looks now compared to what I can recall. There was a slag heap hill that had a small concrete structure on top that was good to hide in (one side of the hill was next to the footpath that was the site of the old railway track). I assume now that the hill may have been related to the old Osmondthorpe Pit.Apologies for going into nostalgia mode and moving off what is an 'Underground Mabgate' thread.

jim

Post by jim »

******? Failed upload! ******** again.    

jim

Post by jim »

Thanks Brandy.    

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Ok Jim,il take down my addy then before the spam brigade get a grip lol.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

chameleon wrote: Si wrote: Brandy wrote: Where have you been hiding Mr Si? Hello Mr B. I've been busy the last few weeks as I started a new job recently (at last!) Years ago, I used to art direct TV ads for Mars bars - now I stack them on shelves!!! I enjoy it though - a lot less pressure!     Hey Si, congrats and al that - perseverance always pays off and, whilst it might not be what you wanted, it's back on the ladder which always helps - and back in touch with people which may give contact to see other openings. - keep at it mate.As for the pressure I can well imagine, work place stress more likely - all those mouth watering milky carmel bars just trying there best to force themselves upon (into) you - must be, unbearable. Have strength man Its been a long old wait pal,well done,was only thinking the other day if you had got a job.This thought genuineley occured to me whilst driving past Tetleys Brewery,i wonder why??
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]