Tree carvings

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
LS13

Post by LS13 »

I'm always interested to see names and dates carved in trees--along with carvings on rocks, its a permanent 'graffiti' and a real snapshot in time. The tree below is on the footpath leading out of Ledsham going towards Fairburn and there are loads of trees with names carved in.I like to imagine what Bobby and his friends were up to on that day in 1959 when they took out their pen knives and recorded their names for posterity on this tree. I wonder what Bobby is doing now? No doubt a 60 something called Bob or Robert, who's long since forgotten his youthful indiscretion.Anyone know of any other good tree carving sites with any interesting or old carvings on?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

the cow and calf rocks at ilkley have some seriously old graffiti.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Rich87

Post by Rich87 »

Good thinking wiggy, just reminded me of one on otley chevin, me and a mate were sat on the highest rock (probably the highest) and we saw a name chiselled in from 1950! So we decided to do ours near it, put our nicknames and the date, it was 2002, so we were 14-15 then! We met some lads in a pub, we got talkin to them, and when they heared our nicknames, they said they had seen them on that rock!!

Rich87

Post by Rich87 »

Sorry i meant ls13!! thought wiggy had started this post, must be coz its late, the brain isnt workin properly!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Rich87 wrote: Sorry i meant ls13!! thought wiggy had started this post, must be coz its late, the brain isnt workin properly! There are som good ones in Roundhay park just in the corner up past the dam of Waterloo Lake. If you go up the hill into the woods they are there although no that old I don't think.Surprises me that they have not grown out after all these years, especially those from the 50's!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

There's loads of 'really' old ones in the Magazine at Pontefract Castle. Done by all the soldiers imprisoned down there.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Exiled-Angel

Post by Exiled-Angel »

Chrism wrote: There's loads of 'really' old ones in the Magazine at Pontefract Castle. Done by all the soldiers imprisoned down there. There are still some carvings in the dungeon's where they kept the prisoners

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Maybe I am mistaken, but I'm sure there are some carvings at Devil's Rock and Adel Rock - Of course all in Adel.
Simon -H-

simonm

Post by simonm »

LS1 wrote: Surprises me that they have not grown out after all these years, especially those from the 50's! Tree's grow from the inside out. If a mark is deep enough then it will remain in the tree for it's life!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"