'Secret' Owls in Leeds

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

HelloI dont know if I am just being paranoid but has anyone ever noticed the owl in the Merrion Centre perched on a ledge as you look above Woolworths. I swear one time it was moving side to side! I know the owl is one of Leeds's emblems but I dont know what is behind this inconspicuosly placed owl or indeed if there are other 'secret' owls around Leeds. My mate Bob reckoned it was a seventies thing, you know like in the 1970s there were flares, disco music, raleigh chopper bikes, owls..?! Personally I dont recall owls as been a defining feature of the seventies but maybe I am wrong?! Anyway if anyone else has spotted any 'secret' owls then lets hear about them!Johnny
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

The one in the Merrion was gone the last time I was in Leeds. I suppose that one was there to scare off the pigeons that used to wander in and out of the centre.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Theres one that scared the c**p out of me at five in the morning.Its on the newly renovated tyre shop building on Marsh Lane,adjacent to the railway line.Looks like an Eagle owl,and its been put on the top window,closest to the line,facing towards the old Tilcon yard.
Attachments
__TFMF_gpe51y45hbazp0i0ns4oiyj0_e7c862ff-5874-4a65-9654-fc0d36efe6f9_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_gpe51y45hbazp0i0ns4oiyj0_e7c862ff-5874-4a65-9654-fc0d36efe6f9_0_main.jpg (116.64 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Nice one Chrism, I never thought about the Merrion Centre owl been there to deter pigeons, I thought it was a nod to Leeds's owl symbol. Also I guess the fact that they had it moving side to side would make the pigeons do one, they might have got used to it just sat there not moving. Cheers mate!
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge