Lawnswoods Cemetery Symbols

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

HiI came across this series of symbols while visiting Lawnswood cemetery near where I live. .there are also some more pics of the symbols in my flickr collection.The symbols are fitted into brick built obelisks / gateposts opposite to the entrance to the cemetery on the Otley road, i dont know if there was a mansion house or something here previously or if this has always just been a car park for the cemetery. I actually uncovered one of the symbols on the furthest left brick built obelisk by wrenching down loads of ivy and brambles so it hadnt been seen for many years - felt like I was in that film 'the da vinci code'! Does anyone know what these symbols are all about, they seem to have some sort of religious significance. Johnny        
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Si

Post by Si »

Is it Masonic, by any chance?

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hi, I've no idea if the symbols are religious, masonic, mystical or what, I thought somebody on here might know but I seem to have drawn a blank!Here is another of the weird symbols opposite Lawnswood cemetery entrance. This one is of a pelican feeding its young?!? WTF?! The full set can be seen on FLickr..     
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

any chance of a link to your flikr site jonleeds??i know im good but im not that good lolit definitely looks masonic to me
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Si

Post by Si »

I've tried Googling Masonic and Christian symbols, but drawn a blank. Are all the carvings different? I don't remember pelicans being in the Bible!

simonm

Post by simonm »

Si wrote: I don't remember pelicans being in the Bible! Surely there must have been a couple.. This is a lost opportunity for a what and where, surely?
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

Surely there must have been a couple.. Very good, Simon!

Si

Post by Si »

Having looked at the "pelicans" again, could they be phoenixes rising from the ashes? Symbol of ressurrection? Seems to fit a cemetery/crematorium, if the wall opposite belongs to Lawnswood. I'm assuming the plaques are on that wall around the semi-circular bit of road?    

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Brandy wrote: any chance of a link to your flikr site jonleeds??i know im good but im not that good lolit definitely looks masonic to me They're certainly not masonic.    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hi BrandyI dont know if its cos I'm not a paying member of Flickr but I dont seem to be having any success with posting a link to my Flickr photos on here.http://www.flickr.com/photos/12267018@N00/If you copy and paste the link above into your URL address bar you might have more luck than actually clicking it which doesnt seem to work for some reason.