Strange 'markers' on Kirkstall Abbey

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
stevief

Post by stevief »

Does anyone have an explanation for these black and white markers I noticed on the walls of Kirkstall Abbey?
Attachments
__TFMF_dayhoa55jltkaqjjwna0x4uu_dbfd68fd-6a27-4c78-adc7-0cab70f42a3d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_dayhoa55jltkaqjjwna0x4uu_dbfd68fd-6a27-4c78-adc7-0cab70f42a3d_0_main.jpg (95.93 KiB) Viewed 4699 times

stevief

Post by stevief »

Two in tandem
Attachments
__TFMF_dayhoa55jltkaqjjwna0x4uu_3a3183e5-368d-4c98-adf0-d83d2c95a4b9_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_dayhoa55jltkaqjjwna0x4uu_3a3183e5-368d-4c98-adf0-d83d2c95a4b9_0_main.jpg (103.74 KiB) Viewed 4699 times

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Not sure but are they some sort of mark for surveying,used to monitor the structural safety of the building,and make sure its not collapsing or moving too much.Just a guess
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

stevief

Post by stevief »

cnosni wrote: Not sure but are they some sort of mark for surveying,used to monitor the structural safety of the building,and make sure its not collapsing or moving too much.Just a guess ...But a good guess.If that's the case then the theodolite would need to be mounted on an exact datum point.I wonder where that could be?

Si

Post by Si »

cnosni wrote: Not sure but are they some sort of mark for surveying,used to monitor the structural safety of the building,and make sure its not collapsing or moving too much.Just a guess You're right, Cnosni. I believe they're called "tell-tales" and are used to detect tiny movements in the stonework. Bolton Priory also has/had them.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Tell-tales are more usually calibrated plates which can move against each other and would be placed over a crack or joint to detect movement. These look more like simple marker plates providing a fixed reference point for site surveying operations.

simonm

Post by simonm »

The markers are ther cos the monks were dabling in radio active fabrics but didn't quite manage to get the symbolism quite right. Jeez, don't you lot know owt?
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

chameleon wrote: Tell-tales are more usually calibrated plates which can move against each other and would be placed over a crack or joint to detect movement. These look more like simple marker plates providing a fixed reference point for site surveying operations. Hmmm, I've seen near identical widgets on tripods used by surveyors. Not that I've ever understood what they are doing or how they do it. Often you see them out on the road and nothing subsequently happens/changes.As I understand it "Tell Tales" can also be such as a simple 1/4" glass rod (or simpler) fixed in place across a crack in masonry to detect whether or not it's still moving. In one instance I heard of a piece of stamp edging was used across a crack in a granite facade in the foyer of a multi storey office block near a forge that was using a steam hammer which played havoc with nearby buildings.The secretary came in the next morning, and noticing it, said " You don't expect that to stop it do you" 8-)
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

Si

Post by Si »

Bramley4woods wrote: chameleon wrote: Tell-tales are more usually calibrated plates which can move against each other and would be placed over a crack or joint to detect movement. These look more like simple marker plates providing a fixed reference point for site surveying operations. Hmmm, I've seen near identical widgets on tripods used by surveyors. Not that I've ever understood what they are doing or how they do it. Often you see them out on the road and nothing subsequently happens/changes.As I understand it "Tell Tales" can also be such as a simple 1/4" glass rod (or simpler) fixed in place across a crack in masonry to detect whether or not it's still moving. In one instance I heard of a piece of stamp edging was used across a crack in a granite facade in the foyer of a multi storey office block near a forge that was using a steam hammer which played havoc with nearby buildings.The secretary came in the next morning, and noticing it, said " You don't expect that to stop it do you" 8-) Now you mention it, I think you're right. I think Sean Connerry used a similar idea in a Bond film, when he licked a hair from his head and stuck it across a wardrobe door to see if anyone went in it while he was out. Can't remember why!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

simonm wrote: The markers are ther cos the monks were dabling in radio active fabrics but didn't quite manage to get the symbolism quite right. Jeez, don't you lot know owt? And after some of the tales of what those Monks supposedly got up to - I could almost believe it!