Rodley Tomb Stone?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Si

Post by Si »

Good work, LS1. The plot thickens......T.D.C. - Tyersal District Council???    

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Or is ST. to do with fare stage for the stage coach? Both Rodley and Hough Side are a bit remote from Stanningley.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Possibly so, would question the year on their though, why would that be necessary?I think with the numbers on there the fare stage seems likely.There should therefore be others that go up in number for this?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: Good work, LS1. The plot thickens......T.D.C. - Tyersal District Council???     Tyersal District council sounds pretty good,was there one?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

LS1

Post by LS1 »

dont think there was, Part of Bradford isn't / wasn't it

Si

Post by Si »

I don't know. It's mentioned in LS1's link earlier.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

No there never was a Tyersal District Council. Tyersal was part of the Borough of Pudsey, which in turn became part of Leeds Met. district in 1974. It's accessible by car from Leeds via Thornbury roundabout and [edited for content] Lane and its postcode is BD4. Logically it's part of Bradford but actually it isn't.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Edited for content indeed! It's the nickname for my Christian name Richard for those who are curious.

Si

Post by Si »

I think we're agreed that the stones are some kind of boundary marker, then. The mystery of the lettering remains!PS It's a good job we're not SecretPenistone!

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Si wrote: FarnleyBloke wrote: Si wrote: Yes LS1. That seems most likely. I think we can rule out grave markers (as there are two - or more? - identical) or re-used stones. Odd that the Rodley one doesn't appear to be on a boundary, though. Can anyone check the new stone on old maps? Where is it exactly? Si, on the 1852 map there is a municipal boundary marked close by but not quite where the stone is. On the 1892 map there is a small BS noted which i would assume stands for boundary stone but these are dotted quite frequently so i may be wrong. It's on Pudsey Road on the right just past a small disused quarry if you know the area. Farnleybloke - do you mean the old quarry going up to Hough Side? I'm going that way today, so will have a look. Yes, I know that area pretty well. The Rodley one does look a bit like No 2. If they mark the same boundary maybe it's Pudsey's boundary, them being so far apart (could be loads of others waiting to be discovered) - it's all supposition, though! I like a good mystery! Hi SiSorry i didn't get back to you yesterday. Yes it is that quarry. There are some other marks on it but it was legging it down when i took the pic so i didn't want to hang sround and work out what they were!Could the TDC just be Town District Council and the S. ST. be the significant part. My original thoughts were also Stanningley but Hough Side is more the border between Bramley and Pudsey.