Rodley Tomb Stone?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Si

Post by Si »

Hi Farnleybloke,I managed to have a look at the Pudsey Road one this morning. It's more weathered, but appears the same as t'other. Yeah, I was wondering about Town District Council. I've no idea as to S.ST. though, and why is the lettering smaller? Surely the place name(?) would be bigger, being more important. Did anything of significance happen in the Pudsey area in 1862? Bit before my time. CheersSi

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Wouldnt have thought Town District Council, as that is a bit of a contradiction. There's eiter town or district councils.

LS13

Post by LS13 »

Had another look at the Rodley one today and as someone spotted on the photograph, there does seem to be faint 'N' with an even fainter 'o', and what could have been a 2 or a 9 after it. ie No 2?If this is the case, the stonemason seems to have been losing interest at this point as the carving is nowhere near as clear as the letters above.Sounds like we're still guessing at this mystery really-boundary stones sound most likely although they don't seem to denote any obvious boundary and the letters also arent recogisable abbreviations.As I said in the original post, the Rodley stone is yards from a newish housing development and has obviously been left in place for a reason. Maybe the council planning office would know why it wasnt disturbed?

Si

Post by Si »

Yes, that must be the case. Someone somewhere knows exactly what they are or they would have been moved or broken up! I wonder if the same mason carved a batch of these stones and the numbers (if that's what they are) were added later in situ and that's why they are fainter?

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

Si wrote: I think we're agreed that the stones are some kind of boundary marker, then. The mystery of the lettering remains!PS It's a good job we're not SecretPenistone! It would be an even more interesting site watching the editing .
roundhegian

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

The 1851 ordnance Survey map 6" to mile shows a Stone Saw Mill (steam) at this point. Is that the S. St link? Also marked is Rodley T.P. But what does T.P. stand for? Ordnance Survey Historical branch suggest (unhelpfully for 1851, I think) Telegraph Post but I think it may be toll or turnpike post. There's a Greengates TP further up the road. Both Stone Saw Mill and Rodley TP are not on the 1910 25 " map.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Could they be anything to to do with the Coal Duty Act 1861 - Tax Posts? I thought it only applied to London

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

LS1 wrote: Wouldnt have thought Town District Council, as that is a bit of a contradiction. There's eiter town or district councils. You're right -'Town District Council' is a no-no. There used to be , before government reorganisation, Urban District Councils(U.D.C) and Rural District Councils( R.D.C.) For instance you will still occasionally see the words 'Horsforth U.D.C'.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Si wrote: I think we're agreed that the stones are some kind of boundary marker, then. The mystery of the lettering remains!PS It's a good job we're not SecretPenistone! Or SecretScunthorpe !!!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Si

Post by Si »

I was waiting for that one!!!