GHOST SIGN?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Brunel

GHOST SIGN?

Post by Brunel »

Jones of Oakwood closed down several years ago.
Attachments
GHOST SIGN.jpg
GHOST SIGN.jpg (840.68 KiB) Viewed 15740 times

tilly

Re: GHOST SIGN?

Post by tilly »

Well spotted Brunel .
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Interesting as this sign is a bit away from where the store was!

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Jones of Oakwood Ltd (electrical retailers) originally had three stores - 472 Roundhay Road (Oakwood Parade), 57 Street Lane (near to Shaftsbury Avenue/opposite the Romans) and 243 Dewsbury Road (near Tunstall Road). The Street Lane store later closed down and the business moved to the Moor Allerton Centre (King Lane/Ring Road, Moortown).

So far as relates to the 'ghost sign', I suspect that this was at Oakwood, opposite Oakwood Parade. Although H. Lax had premises at 637 Roundhay Road, despite the difference in numbers, it was opposite and just below 472 Roundhay Road. Jones of Oakwood may also have had storage premises there.

Apparently, the company was formed in 1949 and was dissolved on 17th March 2015. I think that the company was formed by brothers Rowland Dennis Jones (B. 1926) and Leslie Arthur Jones (B. 1928). The business was run by other members of the Jones family, in later years.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

iansmithofotley wrote:Jones of Oakwood Ltd (electrical retailers) originally had three stores - 472 Roundhay Road (Oakwood Parade), 57 Street Lane (near to Shaftsbury Avenue/opposite the Romans) and 243 Dewsbury Road (near Tunstall Road). The Street Lane store later closed down and the business moved to the Moor Allerton Centre (King Lane/Ring Road, Moortown).
I bought my first "music centre" (record player cassette and radio) from the Dewsbury Road branch. Am I imagining it but did they not also have a presence for a while on Vicar lane (on the corner of the side road down from New Briggate that runs down the side of the Grand)?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

tyke bhoy wrote:
iansmithofotley wrote:Jones of Oakwood Ltd (electrical retailers) originally had three stores - 472 Roundhay Road (Oakwood Parade), 57 Street Lane (near to Shaftsbury Avenue/opposite the Romans) and 243 Dewsbury Road (near Tunstall Road). The Street Lane store later closed down and the business moved to the Moor Allerton Centre (King Lane/Ring Road, Moortown).
I bought my first "music centre" (record player cassette and radio) from the Dewsbury Road branch. Am I imagining it but did they not also have a presence for a while on Vicar lane (on the corner of the side road down from New Briggate that runs down the side of the Grand)

Am ashamed to admit although i lived in Beeston up into the 1980s i don't remember this Store.

Now when i revisit Leeds and drive up Dewsbury Road i don't wish to keep any memory's the New Inn Pub, once a lovely ale house now is some sort of swag shop with stacks of Toilet rolls outside. the rest of that Parade of shops that run down to Tunstall Rd. are either empty or quite dubious in appearance.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I think it was directly at the sid of the entrance to Gradways car park (Tunstall Road side). I'd put 1978 give or take a year on my purchase. If I'm correct about Vicar Lane I also bought my first CD player from them.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tyke bhoy"]I think it was directly at the sid of the entrance to Gradways car park (Tunstall Road side). I'd put 1978 give or take a year on my purchase. If I'm correct about Vicar Lane I also bought my first CD player from them.[/

Thanks for that, (am really no wiser anyway as i thought that it was just a small shop at that corner.

Your mention of Grandways Supermarket reminds me that when my Wife became pregnant in in 1965 we had to look for another house. the reason being that we lived in a Through Terrace in Burlington Place and the Rear entrance had quite a few steps up.
We got a House on Allenby Drive, much more modern and only two Floors.
I advertised it and had quite a few offers but just after a week or so Two men came to the door and said they would pay cash, no bids, no offers. It transpired that they were Doctors and were buying it for their Housekeeper. They had sold a large detached House that stood back from Dewsbury Rd. and Grandways were purchasing the land.
The Housekeeper, it seems had viewed our place and liked it so that was it
Last edited by volvojack on Tue 05 Dec, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

It looks like I was mistaken on the exact location. I think it is the shop with the Orange sign board on this Leodis picture
Image at http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

It was certainly double fronted.

jma

Post by jma »

volvojack wrote:... Am I imagining it but did they not also have a presence for a while on Vicar lane (on the corner of the side road down from New Briggate that runs down the side of the Grand) ....
I think that at some point they had the franchise for the Sony Centre there. I once had a Sony telly from the Wakefield Sony Centre which came with a special offer free extended warranty. When it needed mending, the Sony Centre HQ directed me there and I ended up getting it repaired by Jones of Oakwood.