Curbstones.

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Si wrote: The Parksider wrote: Every yorkshire sandstone flag in the path to adel church has been marked with a cross.So that it will discourage their nicking!!!"HOLY FLAGS" batman! Tasa and I noticed this at St. Oswald's at Guiseley, too. Yes because the whole lot got swiped and had to be replaced(twice I think)Someone has probably got a lovely patio outside their caravan!!!

Si

Post by Si »

Si wrote: Just noticed there are three of these <BL> kerb-stones in the street outside my work. Did anyone ever find out what they're for? I've found a fourth marked kerb-stone at the end of our street. It is approx 8 yards from the end of the street, but it is definately a 'B' as an attempt has been made to carve the curved parts of the B. However, the spacing is different, and it is carved across two adjacent stones and with just one arrow, like this (where the slash is the gap between the stones.)         B     /     L        >                        corner of street    

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

munki wrote: I'm sure there is a very prosaic explanation, but I have started noticing that old curbstones all round Hyde Park seem to be coded, either 'BL', 'F' or with an arrow... It's not Boundary Line is it? The separating of districts/areas/parts of Leeds?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Si

Post by Si »

I don't think so, Chris, otherwise the boundary would run down one side of our street, and back up the other - mind you, you never know! PS Sorry to show my ignorance, but who is Mr Grinder?

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Grinder is a name I use on a couple of forums and the quote I have there is a line from a Memphis Slim song "Grinder Man Blues".
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Si

Post by Si »

Cheers, Chris,I wondered if it was another P.G.Wodehouse quote!

Pashy

Post by Pashy »

BLs may mark out baselines used as reference lines for setting out services or picking up cadastral information.The other marks such as <F> may be reference point identifiers along the baseline, the position known to surveyors.On the other hand Billy Liar might have been a LCC paver before K Waterhouse found him.

railnut

Post by railnut »

I was always led to believe that these were reference marks for ensuring that the electric overhead for the trams was in the correct alignment, especially for curves and junctions. Bearing in mind that the wires had a junction as well, and probably more important to ensure that the trolley was following the tram. The overhead was not always directly above until the advent of the bow collector. Indeed, in Rodley there were two wires (one for each direction) and they were slung parrellel off one pole on the south side of Town Street.They all seem to be on tram routes. We have a good few remaining in Rodley, and comparing these marks to the track diagrams they seem to co-incide with the turnback point, and more importantly the sections that split from single track to double as they went round blind bends. Our route was very much like that. Anyone else concur? Or am I on the wrong track!!!!!!!!!!

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

These markings are found all over Leeds on Main roads, side streets cul-de-sacs.Walk down/up any street with Yorks kerbs and you will find loads of different markings. Some are initials of the Street Mason who put them in originally.
"always expect the unexpected"

Si

Post by Si »

Yesterday I noticed a different kerbstone marking in Otley. It looks a bit like the accompanying sketch, and is carved into a kerbstone in the Market Place, on the opposite side of Boroughgate from the Bay Horse. I'm guessing it has some sort of Christian connection, as a lot of church gatherings used to take place in the market (Whitsun Sings, etc.) Old quote from Railnut:"I was always led to believe that these were reference marks for ensuring that the electric overhead for the trams was in the correct alignment, especially for curves and junctions. Bearing in mind that the wires had a junction as well, and probably more important to ensure that the trolley was following the tram. The overhead was not always directly above until the advent of the bow collector. Indeed, in Rodley there were two wires (one for each direction) and they were slung parrellel off one pole on the south side of Town Street.They all seem to be on tram routes. We have a good few remaining in Rodley, and comparing these marks to the track diagrams they seem to co-incide with the turnback point, and more importantly the sections that split from single track to double as they went round blind bends. Our route was very much like that. Anyone else concur? Or am I on the wrong track!!!!!!!!!!"In reply, I'm not so sure. The <BL> markings I refered to before are on Brancepeth Place, off Armley Road, and to the best of my knowledge, no tram ever passed that way - it's a cul-de-sac!     
Attachments
__TFMF_vek0yt45xxlr0n55r2h3m1fu_dbaedc16-3a0f-4670-b8d0-35edfb1e3888_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_vek0yt45xxlr0n55r2h3m1fu_dbaedc16-3a0f-4670-b8d0-35edfb1e3888_0_main.jpg (34.31 KiB) Viewed 3581 times