The griffin figure on the Mill Hill side of 'The Griffin'.

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Leodian

The griffin figure on the Mill Hill side of 'The Griffin'.

Post by Leodian »

This nice figure of a fictional griffin is on the Mill Hill side of 'The Griffin' whose entrance is on Boar Lane. I wonder if it is a remaining feature from when 'The Griffin' hotel was built (a Griffin Hotel is marked there on at least an 1850 map)? I also wonder if it was above what might have been a door at one time, as the first photo shows what looks like there could have once been one there? The figure does though look to be too little weathered (particularly if it is very old) so maybe it is not particularly old. The second photo is a close-up of the figure. I took the photos on June 2 2016.
The griffin figure on the Mill Hill side of The Griffin (taken June 2 2016).
The griffin figure on the Mill Hill side of The Griffin (taken June 2 2016).
990R.jpg (136.94 KiB) Viewed 13989 times
Close-up of the griffin figure on the Mill Hill side of The Griffin (taken June 2 2016)
Close-up of the griffin figure on the Mill Hill side of The Griffin (taken June 2 2016)
993R.jpg (121.98 KiB) Viewed 13989 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Re: The griffin figure on the Mill Hill side of 'The Griffin'.

Post by volvojack »

Sadly my Mother has passed away and as she had worked there for many years would have certainly known the answer concerning the door. It certainly looks like a previous entrance and thinking back to the 1950 / 60s calling in there I don't recall that blue type cladding at the front area. perhaps you have photographs of that time on site.
( Can't ask my Uncle Martin either as he unfortunately fell down the lift shaft as 14 year old Bell boy.)

Gars28

Post by Gars28 »

This 1947 photo of the area in question looks like it was a window back then too. It is part of the then Grill Restaurant and writing on the window says "wines" the right hand window says "Bar" but I can't make out the lettering in between. Also in view at the front of the building is where the electric tram wires are fixed to the building, mentioned in a recent post, these are still visible today.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (145.32 KiB) Viewed 13927 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Gars, I'd suggest the two sets of windows just repeat GRIFFIN HOTEL >BAR (apologies for shouting but I was reproducing exactly)

Leo. Two reasons for the lack of weathering. I'm no expert and despite its colour I don't think it is sandstone. Even if it is the building itself protects that wall from the more damaging and prevalent westerly winds as it faces almost due east.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Does this show a bit more detail?
Attachments
GRIFFIN 1947.jpg
GRIFFIN 1947.jpg (242.93 KiB) Viewed 13869 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your input :). I wonder what happened to the griffin figure just left and above the entrance/exit?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.