CUT BENCH MARK

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Leodian

Re: CUT BENCH MARK

Post by Leodian »

A cat and a Bench Mark! I took these photos on May 24 2017 on Eccup Lane a little way downhill from the junction with the delightfully named Bedlam Lane. The drawing of the cat on the stone pillar relates to a cattery that used to be nearby in High Weardley and has mentions in this old Secret Leeds thread http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4736
CatPillarWithBenchMarkEccupLaneMay242017.jpg
CatPillarWithBenchMarkEccupLaneMay242017.jpg (160.5 KiB) Viewed 13006 times
BenchMarkOnTheCatPillarEccupLaneMay242017.jpg
BenchMarkOnTheCatPillarEccupLaneMay242017.jpg (144.8 KiB) Viewed 13006 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a damaged Bench Mark (BM) that I saw purely by chance when I was in the area (I'm still surprised that I spotted it!). The BM is on Thirsk Row near its junction with Aire Street. Looking at some maps there was a BM there, or about there, from 1850 to at least 1921 but a BM is not marked there from at least a 1952 map and up to at least a 1964/1970 map. Surprisingly, the BM does not seem to be recorded on the very extensive Bench Mark Database website. I took the photos on June 20 2017. The first is a close-up of the BM and the second shows its location below the window frame that is just left and below the Thirsk Row street sign.
BenchMarkThirskRowAireStreetJunctionLeedsJune202017.jpg
BenchMarkThirskRowAireStreetJunctionLeedsJune202017.jpg (156.02 KiB) Viewed 12849 times
BenchMarkThirskRowBelowWindowLeftAndDownRoadSignJune202017.jpg
BenchMarkThirskRowBelowWindowLeftAndDownRoadSignJune202017.jpg (109.96 KiB) Viewed 12849 times

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Hi Leodian
it is on the 1846-47 OS map
Attachments
1846-7 OS.jpg
1846-7 OS.jpg (176.19 KiB) Viewed 12843 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers warringtonrhino for that map :). There was thus a BM there even earlier than I knew from the maps that I've seen.

I like to see such maps as there is often things in them that I was not aware of. For example though I've heard of the 'Bondman Dam or High Dam' I don't recall hearing of the 'Waterloo Ford'. In view of the 'Monk Pit Lock' name I wonder if there once was a Monk Pit near by? It's also interesting that in view of the 1846-47 map date that much of the street layout and names are still extant.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

There was no Monk Pit (mine) as such, for an explanation of Monk Pits see below:-

Monk Bridge
Built in 1827 to a design by George Leather. This bridge takes its name from Monk Pits, an area of meadowland north of the river. It carried Whitehall Road, the main route from Halifax to Leeds into the centre of the town. The bridge was a bow-spring tied arch structure built of cast iron made at the Bowling Iron Works near Bradford. There was also a smaller stone bridge over the canal. By the 1880s the bridge could no longer cope with the increasing volume of traffic and a new bridge was built by the Leeds Corporation. This was designed by Thomas Hewson, the Borough Engineer, and was of cast iron lattice girder construction, with a span of 109ft. Rows of cast iron owls lined the parapet, and the Leeds coat of arms was carved on the stone pillars either side of the bridge. The bridge over the canal was also replaced with a cast iron structure, with the Leeds coat of arms cast into the ironwork.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:idea:

Monk Pit Branch entrance from River Aire to the Leeds / Liverpool Canal

:arrow:
Attachments
Monk Pit Branch (disused) (11).jpg
Monk Pit Branch (disused) (11).jpg (177.38 KiB) Viewed 12832 times
Monk Pit Branch info.JPG
Monk Pit Branch info.JPG (114.31 KiB) Viewed 12832 times
Monk Pit Canal Basin map.JPG
Monk Pit Canal Basin map.JPG (104.81 KiB) Viewed 12832 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks buffaloskinner for all of that fascinating information :).

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Here is the 1891 map showing that bench mark on Aire Street, also there is another at the front of the Great Northern Hotel.

The map also shows the old walkway from Central Station to the GN Hotel.

Attachments
Aire St BM 1891.JPG
Aire St BM 1891.JPG (284.96 KiB) Viewed 12809 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks buffaloskinner for that 1891 map :).

I notice there are 2 'Cloak Room' marked at the Central Station. I wonder if they were what might now be called a Luggage Room or perhaps people did place clothes/cloaks there then ;).

PS. In regard to the Bench Mark (BM) at the then G. N. R. Station Hotel I posted a photo on December 11 2015 (currently on page 3) of the BM on what was then the former Wellesley Hotel (a later name for the Great Northern Hotel).

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

I believe that the Cloak Rooms were in fact Waiting Rooms, there was always a Ladies Waiting Room and a general Waiting Room. See below pic from 1954.

Attachments
Central Station Waiting Rooms.jpg
Central Station Waiting Rooms.jpg (35.63 KiB) Viewed 12791 times