CUT BENCH MARK

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
buffaloskinner

Re: CUT BENCH MARK

Post by buffaloskinner »

This part of those apartments is from the original warehouse. The BM however must be fairly recent as it is not shown on any maps up to 1964
Attachments
leeds-bridge-warehouse.jpg
leeds-bridge-warehouse.jpg (75.35 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
riverside_court.jpg
riverside_court.jpg (17.24 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Leo have sent you a message ;)

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi buffaloskinner :).

What a fascinating image is the 1829 one compared to the current view, as the lowest levels at least are virtually unaltered. Getting close to 200 years old and still standing (and surviving the December 26 2015 flooding!). Buildings were made to last in those days!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is a Bench Mark (BM) on Leeds Cathedral at its corner of St Anne's Street/Cookridge Street. I have known that there may be a BM there for some time but had never spotted it before when I had cursory looks when passing. I therefore had a close look on March 10 2016 and finally spotted it! The first photo is a close-up of the BM and the second shows its location on the top stone slab on the corner a little left of the grey pole.
Close-up of the Bench Mark on Leeds Cathedral (taken March 10 2016).
Close-up of the Bench Mark on Leeds Cathedral (taken March 10 2016).
811R.jpg (102.58 KiB) Viewed 5709 times
Location of the Bench Mark on the St Anne's Street/Cookridge Street corner of Leeds Cathedral (taken March 10 2016).
Location of the Bench Mark on the St Anne's Street/Cookridge Street corner of Leeds Cathedral (taken March 10 2016).
812R.jpg (90.58 KiB) Viewed 5709 times
Talking of BM's in that general area I know of the 2 on the nearby Rossington Street and have photographed them in the past. There may or may not however still be a BM that is marked on OS maps at the top of Vernon Street by Woodhouse Lane. I've looked a couple of times recently but if there is a BM there I have not spotted it. Does anyone know if that BM is still there?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a hard to spot Bench Mark (BM) at the junction of York Street and Church Lane. If I had not known from maps that there might be a BM there I doubt I would have seen it. I wonder if it is the original BM that is marked there on at least an 1891 map, though there might have been a BM there even earlier. I took the photos on March 15 2016. The first is a close-up of the BM and the seconds shows its location just right of the tall thin pole.
Close-up of the Bench Mark at the junction of York Street and Church Lane, Leeds (taken March 15 2016).
Close-up of the Bench Mark at the junction of York Street and Church Lane, Leeds (taken March 15 2016).
818R.jpg (122.96 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
Location of the Bench Mark at the junction of York Street and Church Lane, Leeds (taken March 15 2016)
Location of the Bench Mark at the junction of York Street and Church Lane, Leeds (taken March 15 2016)
821R.jpg (125.82 KiB) Viewed 5650 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This eroded Bench Mark (BM) is on Victoria Bridge and almost on the pavement level. If I had not known from maps that there might be a BM there I doubt I would have spotted it, though oddly it seems very obvious in the photos! I wonder if it is the original BM that is marked there on at least an 1891 map that I've seen.

I took the photos on April 7 2016. The first is a close-up of the BM and the second shows its location on Victoria Bridge (looking down river).
Close-up of the old Bench Mark on Victoria Bridge, Leeds (taken April 7 2016).
Close-up of the old Bench Mark on Victoria Bridge, Leeds (taken April 7 2016).
890R.jpg (144.6 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
Location view (looking down river) of the old Bench Mark on Victoria Bridge, Leeds (taken April 7 2016).
Location view (looking down river) of the old Bench Mark on Victoria Bridge, Leeds (taken April 7 2016).
893R.jpg (123.15 KiB) Viewed 5291 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote: the second shows its location on Victoria Bridge (looking down river).
I am amazed you managed to avoid capturing any part of any passing motor vehicle while taking a photo there in current daylight hours and not on a Sunday
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tyke bhoy wrote:
Leodian wrote: the second shows its location on Victoria Bridge (looking down river).
I am amazed you managed to avoid capturing any part of any passing motor vehicle while taking a photo there in current daylight hours and not on a Sunday
Hi tyke bhoy :).

It took a bit of patience waiting, particularly also with the many people around. This is a photo looking across Victoria Bridge to the Bench Mark that I took at 11:51 a.m. on April 7 2016. It looks deserted then of traffic and people, but moments before and after it was not! ;)
View looking to the Bench Mark on Victoria Bridge, Neville Street, Leeds (taken April 7 2016 at 11:51 a.m.).
View looking to the Bench Mark on Victoria Bridge, Neville Street, Leeds (taken April 7 2016 at 11:51 a.m.).
891R.jpg (137.94 KiB) Viewed 5281 times

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

1891 map shows it clearly

:arrow:
Attachments
Victoria Bridge 1891.JPG
Victoria Bridge 1891.JPG (121.37 KiB) Viewed 5275 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is a very hard to spot Bench Mark (BM) on the Westminster Buildings on New York Street near the junction of what remains of Harper Street on that side. If I had not known from maps that there might be a BM there I doubt I would ever have spotted it as it still took some finding. I wonder if it is the BM that is marked there on an 1891 map in the Old Maps UK website?

I took these photos on April 20 2016. The first is a close-up of the BM and the second shows its location a little below the white area.
The Bench Mark on the Westminster Buildings, New York Street (taken April 20 2016).
The Bench Mark on the Westminster Buildings, New York Street (taken April 20 2016).
936R.jpg (159.6 KiB) Viewed 5087 times
The location of the Bench Mark a little below the white area on the Westminster Buildings, New York Street (taken April 20 2016).
The location of the Bench Mark a little below the white area on the Westminster Buildings, New York Street (taken April 20 2016).
935R.jpg (145.68 KiB) Viewed 5087 times