CUT BENCH MARK

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Leodian

Re: CUT BENCH MARK

Post by Leodian »

This Bench Mark (BM) does not seem to have featured in this thread. I spotted it by chance on February 27 2017 at the junction of Street Lane and Park Lane, Roundhay, Leeds. I've now looked at maps in the Old Maps UK website and found that a BM is marked at that location on a 1933 map but not on a 1921 map.
BenchMarkJunctionStreetLaneParkLaneRoundhayLeedsFeb272017..jpg
BenchMarkJunctionStreetLaneParkLaneRoundhayLeedsFeb272017..jpg (165.18 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
BenchMarkLocationJunctionStreetLane(OffOnRight)ParkLane(InFront)Feb272017..jpg
BenchMarkLocationJunctionStreetLane(OffOnRight)ParkLane(InFront)Feb272017..jpg (166.41 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Leodian I have to confess that I am totally baffled. I have OS maps for 1847,1933 and 1938 which show a benchmark on Park Lane at its junction with West Park Crescent and maps for 1847, 1892 and 1906 which show a benchmark on Park Lane at its junction with West Park Road. None of the maps I have show a benchmark at the Street lane Park Lane junction, but it is there on your photograph and google maps. It proves something that I often point out when giving advice about researching history, photographs and eye witness reports are more reliable than maps.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Great find, not shown on any of my maps. Been past it numerous times and never noticed.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I have never looked for bench marks i will give it a try i can see me walking all over stooped looking for them.There must still be some not shown on any map hope i find one.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

A little further down Park Lane at number 12 are 2 identical stone pillars and the one that now stands on the corner with Street lane is the original from outside number 12. It’s been moved and that’s why it is not on the map as a benchmark, and the benchmark that is shown on the NLS 1913 map is for that pillar.

Still well done Leo you have found a wandering BM. Hope its value increases with the new location.

Hopefully mystery solved !!

See map below for original site of benchmark on Park Lane before the houses were built.

:arrow:
Attachments
Park Lane benchmark.JPG
Park Lane benchmark.JPG (104.82 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tilly

Post by tilly »

I found a cut bench mark at the rivers edge near the Calls Wharf private car park it is below a blue plaque.I have got photographs of it but i have forgot how to post photographs on here.Dont know if this bench mark has been mentioned on this thread if so sorry to mention this again. :D

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

It's on page 6 of this topic Tilly, good find tho :arrow:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thanks for that buffaloskinner I did say i would look out for them i could be on a fools errand

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi tilly :).

It's good fun looking for the various types of Bench Marks and even better when you spot one. I come across many when I've seen a B.M. marked on a map and so I know to look there but I have come across some that I was not aware of and even some that seem not to be recorded.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thanks for that Leodian i will keep looking.