CUT BENCH MARK

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
liits

Re: CUT BENCH MARK

Post by liits »

New York St.jpg
New York St.jpg (532.79 KiB) Viewed 4440 times
The limescale / saltscale or whatever the white staining is on the bricks has receded a bit since I photographed the BM almost exactly five years ago. I wonder how the brickwork was damaged? It doesn't look like .

liits

Post by liits »

Something that I've just thought of..... There must have been something in the 1841 OS Act [or later - although I can't find the particular paragraph] that permitted the OS to cross your land and or to start chopping away at your building. I couldn't imagine it happening these days!

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

In my opinion one of the best books on mapping is Ordnance Survey map makers to Britain since 1791
here is page 129
Attachments
page 129.JPG
page 129.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 4149 times

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

CUT BENCH MARK-LS17

This may be an "imposter", I cannot find any reference to it on any of the old 6" maps that are online

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=53.8 ... 85/-1.5380

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Section 2 of the OS Act 1841 grants the powers needed, in return for fair compensation: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vic ... /section/2

liits

Post by liits »

I had a reply from the OS this morning in response to my questions; Did the OS cast its own Flush Bracket plates or were they sub-contracted out, also about the piece of legislation allowing them to cross private land and either cut BM's or affix plates, also, was there ever any problems with people refusing access.

1- the flush brackets were produced by Ordnance Survey. Attached is a photograph from our image library of the OS workshops on London Road, Southampton in 1917 showing the production of brass flush brackets.
OS Workshop with Watermark.jpg
OS Workshop with Watermark.jpg (703.41 KiB) Viewed 4078 times

2- This relates to Section 2 of the Ordnance Survey Act 1841 as amended which refers to our rights under the Act:
“ after due notice . . . to enter land for the purpose of fixing any mark or object to be used in the survey, or any post, stone, or boundary mark whatsoever . . . “
However, we should point out that entering land in order to cut bench marks or fix flush brackets are activities that are no longer carried out by Ordnance Survey as we no longer maintain them and reply on GPS technology for our field work.
We don’t hold any details of property owners refusing access in the past.[/i]

I would guess that the photograph, while it does indeed show a workshop, I don't think that it has much to do with either the pattern making for FB plaques or their casting. If anything they may actually be making, among other things, the surveying brackets themselves.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Ordnance Survey map makers to Britain since 1791 ( fantastic book0 here is page 91, which shows how the metal plates were leveled and explains a fundamental bench mark.
Attachments
Scan10033.JPG
Scan10033.JPG (473.67 KiB) Viewed 4071 times

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Well into Anorak territory here....!!

http://www.bench-marks.org.uk/

liits

Post by liits »

Brunel wrote:Well into Anorak territory here....!!

http://www.bench-marks.org.uk/
I've used that site a lot and its brilliant but a bit clunky. At one time - and this may still be the case, its most prolific contributor was a certain Roger Templeman. None of my photographic contributions to the London BM's flickr page had not been visited by him. I didn't have to use the database to know this, he marked every BM he had logged by ringing it with a yellow wax crayon. That man certainly got about a bit!