Toynbee Tile(s)?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Spat Cannon

Post by Spat Cannon »

I can not find this addressed elsewhere, but has anyone seen anything resembling the attached image in or around Leeds? This photo was allegedly taken in or around Chapeltown in 2011. It is either part of or an homage to a mysterious phenomenon which has been happening in the U.S. and South America dating back to the 80s. Here is some background info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toynbee_tilesand a trailer for a fascinating documentary on the subject:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIWpJ5Jl4fEThis is the only one to have ever been spotted in Europe. Since I have seen and studied the other tiles in 3 separate U.S. cities I am very curious to investigate and find out more, any help would be appreciated.Thanks,Spat Cannon
Attachments
10702214_815765101778301_6759661224628120511_n.jpg
10702214_815765101778301_6759661224628120511_n.jpg (232.41 KiB) Viewed 5571 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to Secret Leeds Spat Cannon sorry i cant help its a bit quite on here on the week end.Give it a little time hope someone can help you.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Spat Cannon wrote: I can not find this addressed elsewhere, but has anyone seen anything resembling the attached image in or around Leeds? This photo was allegedly taken in or around Chapeltown in 2011. It is either part of or an homage to a mysterious phenomenon which has been happening in the U.S. and South America dating back to the 80s. Here is some background info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toynbee_tilesand a trailer for a fascinating documentary on the subject:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIWpJ5Jl4fEThis is the only one to have ever been spotted in Europe. Since I have seen and studied the other tiles in 3 separate U.S. cities I am very curious to investigate and find out more, any help would be appreciated.Thanks,Spat Cannon Try Toynbee Idea on Wikipedia.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Spat Cannon

Post by Spat Cannon »

Try Toynbee Idea on Wikipedia. Thanks, but I know a lot about the ideas and interpretations, as is evidenced by my including the Wikipedia link and the trailer to the feature length film my friends made on the subject. I'm looking for info about possible locations of tiles in or around Leeds, as someone sent the above photo to the filmmakers, which in return was passed on to me to investigate since I live here. Thanks again,S.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Spat Cannon wrote: Try Toynbee Idea on Wikipedia. Thanks, but I know a lot about the ideas and interpretations, as is evidenced by my including the Wikipedia link and the trailer to the feature length film my friends made on the subject. I'm looking for info about possible locations of tiles in or around Leeds, as someone sent the above photo to the filmmakers, which in return was passed on to me to investigate since I live here. Thanks again,S. Sorry, I didn't read the posting thoroughly. Hope you find what you are looking for.    
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

simong

Post by simong »

I wonder if the film about the tiles and their maker 'Resurrect Dead' was shown at the Leeds Film Festival in 2011. I can't find a programme on line. It's fairly likely that the tile was a tribute though. Doesn't really surprise me that it was placed in Chapel Allerton either.

Spat Cannon

Post by Spat Cannon »

That seems like the most logical explanation, but typically if a film doesn't have mass release in a country and is only done at one festival, which is often the case with LIFF it would be noted on IMDb, which it is not. I didn't move here until the following summer so I don't even have a program laying around to check. Also, it occurred to me an hour or so ago that the roads hear are much better maintained than most cities in the U.S. so either way it has probably been paved over by now. As opposed to my home city of Pittsburgh where the tiles have lasted nearly twenty years. Thanks for the help, everyone,~S.

Spat Cannon

Post by Spat Cannon »

So it seems that the location was pin-pointed by a Reddit forum, possibly by the creator of the tribute. It is said to be on Avenue Hill next to Potternewton Park. I shall wander up there when I get a chance. So that's the answer for this tile, but if anyone sees others please let me know, Thanks again,~S.

rikj

Post by rikj »

A quick diversion confirms that as of today, it is still there. Albeit a bit more bashed about. Seeing the way it's constructed, it must have taken a fair bit of time and effort to make (and then install).Some letters on the left hand side have been lost to pothole patching.Please let us know if you find out any more about who did it.

Spat Cannon

Post by Spat Cannon »

I also went by today, I must've just missed you. -S.