Can anyone read this map?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
polo

Post by polo »

Im just curious if anyones eyes are better than mine on this map guildford st seems to have a different name and im not sure why can anyone make it out park hill maybe ?

polo

Post by polo »

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Looks like it begins with B to me Burts/Butts Hill?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

You bet me to it Cardiarms. I think it reads Burts Hill but it is likely to be Butts Hill in view of such as Butts Court in the area today and the use of Butts in the area in old maps. PS. The map nicely shows the course of the old goit in the Isle of Cynder area.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Park Lane ??

polo

Post by polo »

Aha BUTTS yes that would make sense many thanks. I really find it fascinating where these names originate from so it was named guildford st after 1822 wonder what the significance was.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

It's a great map to look around polo. I notice that the west end of Boar Lane is called 'Quebec' and that there is a nearby 'West Street' that may be Infirmary Street today. At least a West Street fits in with the still there East Parade and South Parade (North Street though does seem a bit far away!). I've also noticed an 'Intended Road Ground' at what seems to be where Calverley Street is now. There are lots more interesting things on the map.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

polo

Post by polo »

Quebec is now where boar lane starts but was once called "west bar" (as in the boundary stone) but was also the name of the street (begining of boar lane).Kirkstall rd used to stretch all the way into town and join with west street which was later to become st pauls street.Looks like York place used to be called Cobourg place. (wonder if theres any connection to cobourg st)This is an interesting one "fountayne st" near what was eyebright place it might be the location of the well???Thirsk row looks like new bridge street and Britannia street has a different name also.What i think is camp rd also is different king ........ something lane?The site of the archery butts is called something else copley close.Wellington street no longer exists. (ran beside the courts today)Dyer st looks to be jubilee st.Theres a lot more im sure but my eyes are beginning to hurt looking at this map i could use that healing well about now hehe     

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

Fascinating map. Lots of great information. A few things that struck me:- the "St. Peter's New Burying Ground" (almost 2 centuries later and gone !)- how Leeds Parish Church was in the heart of the City- the route of the "Sheepscar Beck", long since culverted, flowing into the River Aire.PC

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

PC - Dublin wrote: Fascinating map. Lots of great information. A few things that struck me:- the "St. Peter's New Burying Ground" (almost 2 centuries later and gone !)- how Leeds Parish Church was in the heart of the City- the route of the "Sheepscar Beck", long since culverted, flowing into the River Aire.PC I agree - and what about the 'proposed canal' running from the river just below Fearns Island across to Hunslet Lane?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell