Can anyone read this map?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: PC - Dublin wrote: Fascinating map. Lots of great information. A few things that struck me:- the "St. Peter's New Burying Ground" (almost 2 centuries later and gone !)- how Leeds Parish Church was in the heart of the City- the route of the "Sheepscar Beck", long since culverted, flowing into the River Aire.PC I agree - and what about the 'proposed canal' running from the river just below Fearns Island across to Hunslet Lane? That is interesting raveydavey.Can anyone work out what is the name of the road that corresponds to Eastgate today as I cannot decipher it. There is what seems to state Union Street running next to it, as it does today (or probably no longer with the Victoria Gate development).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I think it was union street. Edit: meant nelson street.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote: Can anyone work out what is the name of the road that corresponds to Eastgate today as I cannot decipher it. There is what seems to state Union Street running next to it, as it does today (or probably no longer with the Victoria Gate development). I looked at one of the links in the Eastgate Quarter Exhibition thread (can't remember who posted it but it pointed out Eastgate is actually less than 100 years old). There are a couple of names on the various maps up to the 1920s for a road running between Lady Lane and Union Street ( I can't remember there name offhand). On all the maps Lady Lane is by far the widest the one in the middle the narrowest. I think of the sequence of maps it wasn't until one for the 1920s or maybe even 30s that Eastgate appears and is then by far the widest of the 3.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Magpie

Post by Magpie »

Really enjoyed straining my eyes over this map, thanks for sharing... Interesting that Leeds has several connections with Quebec, which may account for Quebec/Quebec Street, although the Canadian Leeds is in Ontario, rather than Quebec.Also interesting to see Park House where the as yet unplanned Town Hall now stands. As an aside, does anyone know of any contemporary images of Park House?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

tyke bhoy wrote: I looked at one of the links in the Eastgate Quarter Exhibition thread (can't remember who posted it but it pointed out Eastgate is actually less than 100 years old). There are a couple of names on the various maps up to the 1920s for a road running between Lady Lane and Union Street ( I can't remember there name offhand). On all the maps Lady Lane is by far the widest the one in the middle the narrowest. I think of the sequence of maps it wasn't until one for the 1920s or maybe even 30s that Eastgate appears and is then by far the widest of the 3. It was LS1 that provided the linkhttp://plandocs.leeds.gov.uk/WAM/doc/BackGround%20Papers-820929.pdf?extension=.pdf&id=820929&location=Volume4&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1A road/roads in the vicinity of Eastgate first appear on the 1815 map1815 Unreadable1850 Black Swan Yard, Virgina Street and Back Virgina Street, Pollards Yard with Nelson Street runs between them and Union Street1991 As 1850 1902 as previous two except Black Swan Yard has gone along with the buildings enclosing most of it1908 and 1921 as 19021933 EastgateWhat is interesting is that what I regard as the Eastgate dog leg to the York Road flyover is marked as Quarry Hill on the 1775 map and all others bar the 1850 in which it is Mabgate (Bar?), the 1902 which doesn't stretch far enough east to include it and the 1933 map where Eastgate as a continuation of the Headrow does first appear. Only on the 1954 map does it too become Eastgate
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your help. The map on page 4 (and others) in the link provided by LS1 confirms that it was Nelson Street. I've only had a cursory look at some of them but the maps in LS1's link are fascinating!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Magpie wrote: Really enjoyed straining my eyes over this map, thanks for sharing... Interesting that Leeds has several connections with Quebec, which may account for Quebec/Quebec Street, although the Canadian Leeds is in Ontario, rather than Quebec. Leodis has the origin of the naming of Quebec Street:http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 1_20902651

polos

Re:

Post by polos »

Leodian wrote:It's a great map to look around polo. I notice that the west end of Boar Lane is called 'Quebec' and that there is a nearby 'West Street' that may be Infirmary Street today. At least a West Street fits in with the still there East Parade and South Parade (North Street though does seem a bit far away!). I've also noticed an 'Intended Road Ground' at what seems to be where Calverley Street is now. There are lots more interesting things on the map.

heya while reading the old OS maps i discovered that south parade (cloned to headingley), east parade, the side of infirmary street and joining with park row was originally intended to be a square and was occupied by tenters for some time . You can tell this by the layout of the houses facing inwards but the plans were scrapped and the square filled in with greek st etc.