Ghost signs - Echoes of Leeds' history hiding in plain view

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

buffaloskinner wrote: These look familiarhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-26339150 Whoever wrote this article for the BBC which features an advertisement for the Yorkshire Evening News,didn't realise that there was a rival newspaper to the Yorkshire Evening Post published in Leeds. He/she says " the news paper has gone through a minor name change." I remember in the early 50's when both papers existed and I delivered them to peoples home in Armley as a paper lad, The post reflected right wing views and the News was more a Labour paper.
ex-Armley lad

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I can remember there used to be an old 'Turog' bread sign on the outside of a shop on Fountain Street in Morley, the sign was made from like 3d letters finished in gold paint. I dunno if its still there now.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

buffaloskinner wrote: These look familiarhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-26339150 Perhaps the BBC are following the YEP's example and looking on here for inspiration...?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: These look familiarhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-26339150 Perhaps the BBC are following the YEP's example and looking on here for inspiration...? That made me . Yep (or should that be YEP ) Secret Leeds leads.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

raveydavey wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: These look familiarhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-26339150 Perhaps the BBC are following the YEP's example and looking on here for inspiration...? To be honest this stuff is getting a bit old and nothing new at all. The whole ethos that it was originally hidden, secret or unusual places has long since lost it's appeal. It's been covered on this forum itself going back years. Myself and a few others were posting this kind of stuff before Secret Leeds even started. Yet 8-10 years later it's still being dug up and Repackaged more often than The Smiths back catalogue. As any music fans know The Smiths have squeezed every song they ever recorded into as many compilations as they can. Best of, the very best of, the singles, greatest-hits e.t.c. There's a lot of recycling and barrel scraping going on. From only 4 albums and 11 non album singles to make 10 compilation albums.Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before...Erm yes actually we have Morrissey Now back on topic.It is lazy journalism in all honesty, not a complaint really. But if they can get an easy ride with little effort that's how they seem to work these days. As Ravey points out they obediently print press releases without any question or add their own take on things. I might sound like I'm having a grumble at them, which I'm not. I just can't believe there can't be many people who haven't already seen this very old stuff before. All these local papers and magazines are at it. The same articles reappear every few months.I personally just stopped Leedslist using my photos and stories. I had let them do around 15-20 articles from my material. The only thing I asked is that they credited the photos to me, and make it known where the original source of material came from. With a link back to my original photos they had featured. I asked that request for one reason only. And that was so people could contact me if they wished to use my photos themselves. In the hope it would help stop me loosing copyright of my own photos. That happens if people help themselves to them on uncredited photos on Leedslist and other places. Anyway they didn't, and I felt they were very rude. They used all my text and research but very slightly reworded it. At the top of the article it said *Words Nakita, Photos Phill*I don't mind letting people use or borrow anything I've made or done, but when they try present it as their own work is when it's taking liberties.And that was it. It was like an after thought, like I was some guy who just happened to be an unimportant photographer working for them. It wasn't even very noticeable.http://leeds-list.com/out-and-about/undiscovered-leeds/(I've been honoured with that credit too, the 'words credit' has since been altered and credited to me) At one point they were churning out 2 and 3 articles a week from my material. I thought they are taking liberties here. So I told them next time they asked, and I replied no they weren't using my stuff anymore. And I told them why. They weren't playing cricket and they were presenting all this material as their own amazing work. Meanwhile I got a crummy 'Photos Phill' All they needed to say was a short thanks and acknowledge the original source of material. A little manners and courtesy cost nothing. They have since reworded some articles and credited me properly since I pulled them about it. But that was too little too late, and they won't be using my stuff again. I tried a few different things in the past, the farcical madness that followed with the ghost village. And I'm pestered with messages asking how to find the Toy Town train tunnel, and the Strategic Steam Reserve. People either need a sense of humour, or invent something new themselves.Come on you Journo guys, give us something new and different to read now                                                             
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Sounds like you should seek some legal advice on this appauling plagiarism Phil, Citizens Advice Bureau would be able to give you details of solicitors who work pro bono or who run free legal advice sessions. I've noticed that a good place to look for old advertising signs painted on buildings is when an existing billboard has been removed or is in the process of being replaced as many billboards are located in the same place as the old painted signs. I dont know how the process works though. If somebody lives in an end terrace house that has a huge advertising hoarding mounted on the gable end do the house owners get paid a fee?
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

liits

Post by liits »

The going rate from Clearview, who do a lot of the ad hoardings, is £6.75 per year. They agree this "Special License" with the freeholder and pay the monies to them. They undertake to do all the planning permissions and incur all the costs for such plus the cost of erection, maintenance, provision of services [lighting] and public indemnity etc etc. If you're only the tenant of the property, and your landlord agrees to have one, your only recourse is via a planning objection. If you move into a premises that has one already, tough!Some years ago I had a house that had a telephone pole in a corner of the garden and for the few years we were there, every year we got a cheque from BT for ninety odd pence.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

£6.75 a year, that's worth considering.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: raveydavey wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: These look familiarhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-26339150 Perhaps the BBC are following the YEP's example and looking on here for inspiration...? That made me . Yep (or should that be YEP ) Secret Leeds leads. I like your take on the old Leeds Leads slogan Leo - so I suppose I should now say 'Secret Leeds Leads - and others follow'!!