Old shop signs revealed

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

I do like it when a shop's being renovated or refitted and they take the sign down from the front, revealing a much older one behind!This one is of course the back of the Merrion Centre - Scheerer's of course is a fairly recent loss (although they moved from this site a few years ago), but I wonder when Sheila's (Sand)wiches last saw the light of day!
Attachments
20130821_090011[1].jpg
20130821_090011[1].jpg (752.29 KiB) Viewed 3902 times

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

This one's on Moortown Corner. Sadly I missed a corker on the other side of the same block when Bagel Nash and, in the process of becoming Madame Doreen's Emporium (ugh, yes, I know) revealed the sign behind for the old milliner's shop!
Attachments
20130930_135726[1].jpg
20130930_135726[1].jpg (821.19 KiB) Viewed 3902 times

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

mark1978 wrote: I do like it when a shop's being renovated or refitted and they take the sign down from the front, revealing a much older one behind!This one is of course the back of the Merrion Centre - Scheerer's of course is a fairly recent loss (although they moved from this site a few years ago), but I wonder when Sheila's (Sand)wiches last saw the light of day! Actually, Sheila's Sandwiches outlasted Scheerer's and was one of the last shops to close on that parade, but the sign hadn't changed since the shop opened in the 1970s, so it's not a sign which was behind another one, but the original one! I used to buy my lunchtime sandwiches from there fairly regularly and loved that it maintained its original appearance over the years!

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

Well I never! Don't remember Sheila's Sandwiches at all.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Tasa wrote: mark1978 wrote: I do like it when a shop's being renovated or refitted and they take the sign down from the front, revealing a much older one behind!This one is of course the back of the Merrion Centre - Scheerer's of course is a fairly recent loss (although they moved from this site a few years ago), but I wonder when Sheila's (Sand)wiches last saw the light of day! Actually, Sheila's Sandwiches outlasted Scheerer's and was one of the last shops to close on that parade, but the sign hadn't changed since the shop opened in the 1970s, so it's not a sign which was behind another one, but the original one! I used to buy my lunchtime sandwiches from there fairly regularly and loved that it maintained its original appearance over the years! Was this where the chemist was? There are some photo's on Leodis of a chemist shop that was on that parade.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

This is the one at the opposite side of the Corner House to the William Hill sign. I am sure that Hatties was at one point further to the right but memory plays tricks!
Attachments
photo 1 (2).JPG
photo 1 (2).JPG (445.16 KiB) Viewed 3902 times

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

LS1 wrote: Tasa wrote: mark1978 wrote: I do like it when a shop's being renovated or refitted and they take the sign down from the front, revealing a much older one behind!This one is of course the back of the Merrion Centre - Scheerer's of course is a fairly recent loss (although they moved from this site a few years ago), but I wonder when Sheila's (Sand)wiches last saw the light of day! Actually, Sheila's Sandwiches outlasted Scheerer's and was one of the last shops to close on that parade, but the sign hadn't changed since the shop opened in the 1970s, so it's not a sign which was behind another one, but the original one! I used to buy my lunchtime sandwiches from there fairly regularly and loved that it maintained its original appearance over the years! Was this where the chemist was? There are some photo's on Leodis of a chemist shop that was on that parade. I've had a look on Leodis and that's definitely the same unit in its previous guise as a pharmacy in the 1960s - well spotted! I wonder if it was the owner of the pharmacy who took the photos - whoever it was, was obviously very proud of the shop at the time!

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

mark1978 wrote: Well I never! Don't remember Sheila's Sandwiches at all. I think it's only because I kept going there over the years that I remember it, otherwise, like many small shops which don't change their appearance, they become part of the scenery!I've just found a photo of the shop - they installed an awning in latter days which obscured the word "Sandwiches", which tests my memory as I don't remember the awning
Attachments
Sheilas.jpg
Sheilas.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 3902 times