Cocidius - trying to find incised relief

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

salt 'n pepper wrote: I obviously don't 'get' the Pagan thing either.When I saw the thread title I thought it was spamming for some sort of painkiller that you could maybe get off the internet. That made me Keep taking the tablets, as God said to Moses.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

mourning_belle

Post by mourning_belle »

jonleeds wrote: I think there are some photos of the carving on The Northern Antiquarian website, but I agree with Steve Jones in that its best not to disclose the actual location because of vandals etc. Someone would have it on Ebay!     I don't think this is true, being as I first saw the carving on a public guided tour by the WYAS, they generally trust the public to respect the history which is why they have info on their website for most of the sites, as do LCC on the scheduled monuments part of their website. As for carvings finding their way on to ebay, I think it's unlikely being as it is instantly recognisable, scheduled and therefore protected and the rock it is on is gritstone and you'd have a hard job of taking the carving without destroying it, which would be obvious to even the silliest criminal.The main reason no one really describes how to find it is because there is no easy way to describe how to find one rock next to a tree in a place with lots of rocks next to trees. I can walk straight there because I live right next to it, the place has a lot of meaning for me and I have been many times. Happy to show other people too because it belongs to everyone and should be appreciated by everyone who wants to, not just archaeologists (which I'm sure most archaeologists would agree with).

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

As for carvings finding their way on to ebay, I think it's unlikely being as it is instantly recognisable, scheduled and therefore protected and the rock it is on is gritstone and you'd have a hard job of taking the carving without destroying it, which would be obvious to even the silliest criminal.sadly as i deal with criminals on a regular basis,I can tell you that if an idiot thinks stuff is worth stealing they will attempt it even if it is damaged in the process.ebay isnt theonly place stuff is sold and it is sites like this that are secluded and away from prying eyes that are more likely.there is a market for stolen items and this isn't well known that is why i refuse to show people the site.Adel church had it's famous sanctuary knocker stolen.the present one is just a replica.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

You took the words right out of my mouth there Steve, I was about to mention the Adel church knocker and I saw you'd already mentioned it just now. Although I've a horrible feeling that the 1000 year old bronze knocker might have been stolen by some philistine just for the scrap metal value of a few pounds! Even though the theft of such an article is a despicable rape of our heritage I'd still rather it was stolen by an 'art thief' to be supplied to some unscrupulous collectors collection where at least there might be a chance that it could be recovered at some point in the future.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

[quotenickEven though the theft of such an article is a despicable rape of our heritage I'd still rather it was stolen by an 'art thief' to be supplied to some unscrupulous collectors collection where at least there might be a chance that it could be recovered at some point in the future. yes,this type of theft is increasing but all sorts of stuff gets pinched.i recall somebody pinched the skulls out of a memento mori lychgate at a church i South yorkshire some years back!apart from scrap metal thieves i know from dealing in my judicial capacity that some druggies will pinch anything not nailed down (and even some stuff that is<LOL>) in the hope of scoring few quid for it.churches and old sacred sites used to be safe as it was believed that extremely bad luck happened to anyone who dared to profane them.sadly todays crowd don't beleive in it .
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

mourning_belle

Post by mourning_belle »

I'm aware of damage to heritage sites, doll tor and Ilkley moor being two personal favourite places of mine and both suffering damage from well meaning idiots. Whats the alternative though? We lock it all up and don't let anyone see it? Don't tell enthusiastic people how to find it? The info to find the rock art of Ilkley moor is everywhere, it's older and probably more valuable than this example. I still think if people ask how to find it they should be allowed to have the information, this is the opinion shared by English Heritage too!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

A month or so ago there was a documentary about how this trade in stolen scrap metal was continuing to decimate the country's heritage. There was a clip from a Birmingham catholic church's CCTV that showed 4 'gentlemen' enter a church in broad daylight, they proceeded to the altar and calmly grabbed a few chairs which they stacked up so they could reach a valuable solid silver lamp which was hanging up. They then calmly left the church with their stolen ware completely unchallenged. Clearly these people knew exactly what they were going in the church to steal and how to steal it. Its an absolute disgrace, and all this stuff you hear about war memorial plaques getting pinched for the value of the bronze / scrap is heartbreaking. Surely there are a lot of scrap metal yards that have a lot to answer for, but they seem to dodge any blame by making out they buy everything in good faith and cooperate with the police etc. Thats like a 'fence' saying he buys everything in good faith! The fact that its stolen only becomes an issue if they get caught which seems to be rarely. The rewards for trading in this stolen loot far outweigh the risks.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

suvidruid

Post by suvidruid »

I did in the end find it, or at least asked someone who is local to show me - that someone being Dave Raven. I must of walked past it about 30 times and not seen it. In answer to your question I have more than just a passing interest in druidry.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Didnt Bill Roach aka 'Ken Barlow' also have an interest in druidry (as well as young girls)?