Signs of old leodis

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Leodian

Re: Signs of old leodis

Post by Leodian »

uncle mick wrote:The last entry in the phone books for Spillers in Leeds was 1959
Thanks for that information uncle mick :).

Having looked closer at a zoomed-in view of the Spillers name that I took on September 1 2015 I've noticed that the name seems to be formed by bricks, so it is not just a painted name, as seen in this photo.
Attachments
Zoomed-in photo taken on September 1 2015.
Zoomed-in photo taken on September 1 2015.
0273R.jpg (123.42 KiB) Viewed 31088 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Re:

Post by Leodian »

Cardiarms wrote:These are the railings around the old Yorkshire Bank that is now Flares on City Square.    
I took some photos of the railings on April 7 2016 and had thought of starting a thread but I have now found this thread which has a photo in Cardiarms post of the railings that was posted on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:04 am. As they show a different view I thought I would still however add these 2 photos that I took. The first shows a close-up of part of the railings and the second shows the full length of the railings on Bishopgate Street.

I understand that the YB on the railings refers to the 'Yorkshire Banking Company' that seems not to be 'Yorkshire Bank' but I would be grateful to find out if that is correct or not.
Old railings with 'YB' on them (taken April 7 2016).
Old railings with 'YB' on them (taken April 7 2016).
894R.jpg (135.15 KiB) Viewed 30833 times
View of the old 'YB' railings on Bishopgate Street, Leeds (taken April 7 2016).
View of the old 'YB' railings on Bishopgate Street, Leeds (taken April 7 2016).
895R.jpg (142.3 KiB) Viewed 30833 times

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The building on the corner and down Bishopgate St was the Yorkshire Banking co in the 1897 directory and was their head office, but by the 1907 edition the bank had gone. In directories 1907 and after on looking up The Yorkshire Banking Co , it states see Midland Bank, so presumably they took them over. What we know as the Yorkshire Bank seems to be then listed as The Yorkshire Penny Bank

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chemimike wrote:The building on the corner and down Bishopgate St was the Yorkshire Banking co in the 1897 directory and was their head office, but by the 1907 edition the bank had gone. In directories 1907 and after on looking up The Yorkshire Banking Co , it states see Midland Bank, so presumably they took them over. What we know as the Yorkshire Bank seems to be then listed as The Yorkshire Penny Bank
Thanks for that information chemimike :).

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

If you are at a loose end the YB on Kirkgate had some interesting details on the doors. Never had the chance to photograph.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cardiarms wrote:If you are at a loose end the YB on Kirkgate had some interesting details on the doors. Never had the chance to photograph.
Hi Cardiarms :).

I used the plaque above that door of the old bank at the junction of Kirkgate and New York Street on this 'What & Where' thread http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3794 on March 19 2012. As a result of that I found that the faint wordings 'Yorkshire Penny Bank' can just be made out between the door and the plaque but I had not noticed them and they were too faint to be seen in some photos that I took on March 19 2012. If the words are still there I may try to get them in a photo at some stage if nobody posts one first.

Edit added later. See my post on April 12 2016 about the letters being far too faint to photograph.
Last edited by Leodian on Tue 12 Apr, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

If of any interest at https://archive.org/details/memorandafroman00sellgoog there is "Memoranda from a notebook on the Yorkshire Penny Bank " by Henry Barber Sellers. which may be read or downloaded in various formats. this gives a histroy of the bank till c1899

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Yorkshire Penny Bank Kirkgate 1930, from Leodis

:arrow:
Attachments
YPB Kirkgate.jpg
YPB Kirkgate.jpg (30.88 KiB) Viewed 30562 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Leodian wrote:
Cardiarms wrote:If you are at a loose end the YB on Kirkgate had some interesting details on the doors. Never had the chance to photograph.
Hi Cardiarms :).

I used the plaque above that door of the old bank at the junction of Kirkgate and New York Street on this 'What & Where' thread http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3794 on March 19 2012. As a result of that I found that the faint wordings 'Yorkshire Penny Bank' can just be made out between the door and the plaque but I had not noticed them and they were too faint to be seen in some photos that I took on March 19 2012. If the words are still there I may try to get them in a photo at some stage if nobody posts one first.
I looked at the site today (April 12 2016) but the letters that I could make out were extremely faint and if I had not known they may be there I would never have spotted anything. I therefore did not take a photo as it would have been pointless.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

buffaloskinner wrote:Yorkshire Penny Bank Kirkgate 1930, from Leodis

:arrow:
Passing by that bank today (April 12 2016) I noticed that it has closed down. Could someone please let me know when it closed as I feel sure it was still open to recently.