Signs of old leodis

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Brunel

Re: Signs of old leodis

Post by Brunel »

Ex Children's home. LS8

The building is being demolished, but this is marked SAVE, if the Demo. man in his machine reads it.

Is this Terra Cotta ? Could it have been manufactured at the Burmantofts Pottery?

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebysi ... ht=BingHyb

Image1901

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Brunel. :)

That is a nice feature which I hope is retained, though the date may make it hard to eventually resite. I realise that not everything of possible interest can be kept when buildings are demolished but that feature does look to be worth retaining.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Leodian wrote: While I was in the area yesterday there were a lot of people going into the Job Centre Plus but I saw nobody come out of a door marked 'Exit' on the outside! I guess it is closed shut, but perhaps suspicion settles on the fate of those who do go in! ;)
I expect the people in there are "Remain " supporters, and won't allow people to "Exit"

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This worn 'Please ring for attention' caught my eye today (June 9 2016) on the Templar Lane side of the long-vacant British Road Services building whose boarded up main front is on Lady Lane (the building has had many uses in the past). I wonder where the bell was to ring as there seemed to be no sign of remains of anything that looked like a bell near the wording (there is a blocked door a couple or so yards to the right but even that had nothing that looked like it was once a bell)? If the bell was in the blocked area below the sign then as that is just above the pavement it would have been very low down! The first photo is a close-up of the wording and the second shows its location on the wall behind the red car.
Close-up of the 'Please ring for attention' wording on the Templar Lane side of the old British Road Services building (taken June 9 2016).
Close-up of the 'Please ring for attention' wording on the Templar Lane side of the old British Road Services building (taken June 9 2016).
1023R.jpg (129.84 KiB) Viewed 27029 times
View on Templar Lane of the old British Road Services building (taken June 9 2016).
View on Templar Lane of the old British Road Services building (taken June 9 2016).
1024R.jpg (112.14 KiB) Viewed 27029 times
PS. As far as I'm aware the building is a listed one and so should not be demolished, but it's a shame that it has been closed for so long and the main front has been allowed to fall into disrepair.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

This building has a long history, may be on SL somewhere.

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

It is due to be kept and done up as part of phase of the Victoria Gate scheme. it holds a central position in phase .

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

It is due to be kept and done up as part of phase of the Victoria Gate scheme.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

There's an old chemist shop front been revealed on cardigan road. Probably be covered up tomorrow. I've got pics on my phone but can't post them for some reason.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 26784 times
image.jpeg
Attachments
image.jpeg

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Ignore this post!
Last edited by Cardiarms on Thu 01 Sep, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.