Signs of old leodis

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
uncle mick

Re: Signs of old leodis

Post by uncle mick »

Leodian wrote:
buffaloskinner wrote:Yorkshire Penny Bank Kirkgate 1930, from Leodis

:arrow:
Passing by that bank today (April 12 2016) I noticed that it has closed down. Could someone please let me know when it closed as I feel sure it was still open to recently.
I would imagine it closed down when the new one opened in Briggate in November last year

http://www.ybonline.co.uk/media/news-re ... h-in-leeds

There is a planning application to turn the bank in Kirkgate into a bar or restaurant

https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/onlin ... MWKJB17S00

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

and a few more in the area may be closing

Taken from todays YEP 13 April 2016

YORKSHIRE BANK today announced plans to close a raft of branches in its northern heartland

Nine branches will close in Yorkshire and 17 more in other parts of the UK, the bank said.
It did not disclose details of any redundancies, but said affected staff would be offered other roles “wherever possible”.
The bank, which was sold off by its former parent National Australia Bank earlier this year, said the closures reflected “the changing needs of customers who want to access more day-to-day banking services quickly, on the move and outside normal business hours”.
Yorkshire Bank ready to push button on B, its new digital brand
It said ten of its remaining branches in Yorkshire would now also open on Saturdays and 16 more would see their Saturday hours extended.
The axed branches, which will close between July and September, are in Batley, Thorne, Yeadon, Rotherham Parkgate, Heckmondwike, Ilkley, Knaresborough, Queensbury and the Leeds suburb of Seacroft.
Head of customer banking networks, Steve Fletcher, said: “I understand this will not be welcome news for those who use these particular branches. These are difficult decisions but ones we must face as we try to keep up with the pace of change in the way people want to bank. We have to balance our investment to ensure we support demand where it is greatest, across mobile, online and branch services.”
He added: “Branches remain vitally important to us, and we continue to invest in them, the services they offer and when we offer them. I hope that the investment we’re making in the overall quality of our branch network, the big increase in Saturday opening and the availability of other ways to bank, like local Post Office counters, will minimise the effect of this announcement for customers.”
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

uncle mick wrote:
Leodian wrote:
buffaloskinner wrote:Yorkshire Penny Bank Kirkgate 1930, from Leodis

:arrow:
Passing by that bank today (April 12 2016) I noticed that it has closed down. Could someone please let me know when it closed as I feel sure it was still open to recently.
I would imagine it closed down when the new one opened in Briggate in November last year

http://www.ybonline.co.uk/media/news-re ... h-in-leeds

There is a planning application to turn the bank in Kirkgate into a bar or restaurant

https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/onlin ... MWKJB17S00
Thanks for that information uncle mick :).

Another bar or restaurant, so no surprise there! There must presumably be still thought to be a need despite there already being plenty of them in the centre of Leeds.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

These are some photos I took on April 14 2016 of the now closed Yorkshire Bank (what was at one time the Yorkshire Penny Bank) on Kirkgate between Vicar Lane and Briggate. The first is a close-up of the bank's motifs on the door (note the interlocked YPBs and the Leeds Owls and also the old style door bell). The second is a view of the full wood door and the third shows the full building on Kirkgate (Fish Street runs off on the right).
Close-up of the door on the now closed Yorkshire Bank (at one time the Yorkshire Penny Bank) on Kirkgate between Vicar Lane and Briggate (taken April 14 2016).
Close-up of the door on the now closed Yorkshire Bank (at one time the Yorkshire Penny Bank) on Kirkgate between Vicar Lane and Briggate (taken April 14 2016).
910R.jpg (110.72 KiB) Viewed 28768 times
View of the full door on the now closed Yorkshire Bank (at one time the Yorkshire Penny Bank) on Kirkgate between Vicar Lane and Briggate (taken April 14 2016).
View of the full door on the now closed Yorkshire Bank (at one time the Yorkshire Penny Bank) on Kirkgate between Vicar Lane and Briggate (taken April 14 2016).
909R.jpg (101.46 KiB) Viewed 28768 times
The now closed Yorkshire Bank (at one time the Yorkshire Penny Bank) on Kirkgate between Vicar Lane and Briggate (taken April 14 2016).
The now closed Yorkshire Bank (at one time the Yorkshire Penny Bank) on Kirkgate between Vicar Lane and Briggate (taken April 14 2016).
912R.jpg (124.79 KiB) Viewed 28768 times
Talking of doors there are many superb wood doors in at least the centre of Leeds. I did at one time think of taking photos of them but there are probably just too many. Taking photos of them and producing at least a published record of them could though be a good project for anyone that is willing to take the time and effort (and finding the very brief pedestrian and/or car free moments to take photos!).

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This old letter box caught my eye when I was wandering around today (June 7 2016). It is on the Lady Lane frontage of the long-vacant Circle House building at the junction of Lady Lane and Bridge Street. I tried to make out what the wording on the letter box states and that along the top seems to be 'National Union of Tailors and Garment Workers' but I could not make out what it states along the bottom. Does anyone know what the full wording is?

The first photo is a close-up of the letter box and the second shows its location a little below the Lady Lane street sign on the Circle House building (both were taken today, June 7 2016).
Old letter box on the Lady Lane frontage of the long-vacant Circle House (taken June 7 2016).
Old letter box on the Lady Lane frontage of the long-vacant Circle House (taken June 7 2016).
1012R.jpg (152.5 KiB) Viewed 28558 times
The long-vacant Circle House at the junction of Lady Lane and Bridge Street, Leeds (taken June 7 2016).
The long-vacant Circle House at the junction of Lady Lane and Bridge Street, Leeds (taken June 7 2016).
1018R.jpg (131.21 KiB) Viewed 28558 times

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

CIRCLE HOUSE, was the H.O. of the N.U.T.G.W.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Leo's photo of Circle House reminded me that I had to call there from time to time back in the 60s when I worked round the corner at the Employment Exchange on Eastgate. One of the floors of Circle house was, for a while, used as an annexe by the Ministry of Labour (later the Dept of Employment and Productivity). Ladies who were looking for a job would visit there to register for work before "signing on" at the employment exchange on Eastgate. I recall that by the end of the 60s other arrangements were in place and the Circle House office was closed.
I don't know when the Union vacated the building but AEU House, further along Bridge Street on the right and past Murphy's building yard, would have opened round about the same time perhaps.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Also... if you had walked a few yards further on lady Lane you would have seen this on the front of the old ALEXANDRE TAILORING FACTORY.

ImageSAMUEL HENRY LYONS

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Brunel wrote:Also... if you had walked a few yards further on lady Lane you would have seen this on the front of the old ALEXANDRE TAILORING FACTORY.

ImageSAMUEL HENRY LYONS
Cheers Brunel. I knew of that and its close by one laid by his wife and took photos of them many years back (they are somewhere in my collection!). They stones are surviving very well.
Last edited by Leodian on Wed 08 Jun, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jdbythesea wrote:Leo's photo of Circle House reminded me that I had to call there from time to time back in the 60s when I worked round the corner at the Employment Exchange on Eastgate. One of the floors of Circle house was, for a while, used as an annexe by the Ministry of Labour (later the Dept of Employment and Productivity). Ladies who were looking for a job would visit there to register for work before "signing on" at the employment exchange on Eastgate. I recall that by the end of the 60s other arrangements were in place and the Circle House office was closed.
I don't know when the Union vacated the building but AEU House, further along Bridge Street on the right and past Murphy's building yard, would have opened round about the same time perhaps.
Thanks for that information jdbythesea :).

While I was in the area yesterday there were a lot of people going into the Job Centre Plus but I saw nobody come out of a door marked 'Exit' on the outside! I guess it is closed shut, but perhaps suspicion settles on the fate of those who do go in! ;)