Longley

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

On top of the current Pret A manger building on the corner opposite WH Smith the word LONGLEY is spelt out in brick and on the other side as well. What does this refer to? Other than the same enquiry back in 2007 I can't find a reference to this on here.I was waiting for the shops to open today at 11 and idly looking up at the rofftops to see if I could spot anything interesting when I saw this.I didn't have a camera so can't post a picture.The brickwork on the building is highly decorated and the now adjoining building near Pasta Romagna was obviously all part of this place so I assume it was an important firm?
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Steve Jones wrote: On top of the current Pret A manger building on the corner opposite WH Smith the word LONGLEY is spelt out in brick and on the other side as well. What does this refer to? Other than the same enquiry back in 2007 I can't find a reference to this on here.I was waiting for the shops to open today at 11 and idly looking up at the rofftops to see if I could spot anything interesting when I saw this.I didn't have a camera so can't post a picture.The brickwork on the building is highly decorated and the now adjoining building near Pasta Romagna was obviously all part of this place so I assume it was an important firm? I think they were a firm of bed manufacturers Steve.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

liits

Post by liits »

The firm was originally Joseph Longley, Bedding Maufacturers.Joseph [b.26 March 1813 Morley] marries to Rachel Clough [b.1813 d.1896] in May 1836 at All Saints’ Church, BatleyThey have seven children Margaret, Alexander, Grace, Walter, Seth, Oliver and Ada.The 1851 census records him as a Flock Dealer living and working in Fishers Yard, Meadow Lane.The 1861 census records the family living at Lands Lane. He is described as Flock Dealer and Mattress Maker. His four elder children are also employed in the business.He dies on 2nd January 1865 leaving under £2000 to his wife and eldest son, Alexander.The 1871 census records his widow, Rachel, and the rest of the family living at [West] Park Drive, between Spen Lane and Otley Road.Alexander dies in November 1873 while in Melbourne, Australia. He leaves under £3000 in his will. I wonder if he was there to buy wool for flock?The business next transfers to the second son, Walter.Walter was born on 8th September 1845 while the family were living at Fishers Yard.He marries to Emma Dearden [b.1849 d.1904] on 8th November 1871 at the Parish Church. The couple have eleven children; Joseph, Alexander, James D, Walter jnr, Minnie, Percy, Bernard, Olive, Oliver, Ernest and Emma.His youngest son Ernest was killed on the Somme in 1916. The Leeds Pals website has the following to say about him;"Ernest Longley was the youngest son of Walter Longley, of Park View, Newton Road, Leeds. After his education at Leeds Grammar School, he joined the family business of Joseph Longley, bedding manufacturers of Lands Lane and New York Street, Leeds.A young gifted footballer he played for Leeds Grammar School, the Y.M.C.A., and also Leeds Yarnbury. On the outbreak of war enlisted into the Leeds Pals on 4th September 1914 and was posted to Section 10, 3 Platoon of A Company to become a Platoon bomber under the command of Captain Richard Morris Stanley Blease.He served with the “Pals” at Colsterdale, Egypt and France and was killed in action on the 1st July 1916 in the attack on Serre. (Battle of the Somme).Having no known grave he is commemorated on Thiepval Memorial,Somme,France."Walter dies on the 31st January 1930 leaving over £118K to two of his sons Alexander and Percy. Alexander continues to run the business, Percy is described as a Fern Preserver.When Alexander dies in 1935 he leaves £17k divided between his widow Beatrice [I can’t find any record of his marriage], and his brother Percy – still a Fern Preserver.Walters third son [Alexander’s younger brother], James Dearden Longley takes over the business and is still running it in 1947. The pic below is from the 1947 Kelly’s Directory. He dies on 7th June 1948 but the business continues and is still listed in the 1958 Barrett’s Directory. I don’t know if passed to another member of the family or when it closed.    

Caron

Post by Caron »

Excellent information as always, liits

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Its last appearance in the phone book was in 1964. It seems the business passed to James Chapman Longley on the death of James Dearden Longley in 1948    

liits

Post by liits »

Thanks Uncle Mick, that ties in nicely.James Chapman Longley was the son of James Dearden Longley. [The names Dearden and Chapman being the maiden names of their mothers Emma Dearden being the mother of James Snr. Maud Chapman his wifeJames Chapman Longley was born on 5th September 1905. He married to Gwendoline May Sowry on 21st May 1930 and they had a daughter. The daughter is named Margaret Helen so the tradition of giving the mother’s maiden name as a second given name didn’t last long.James C. dies on the 19th August 1981 so it looks like he lasted well after the business closedLeodis has some pics of the building which occupied the site prior to the present Longley’s building.Another Leodis photo has had a comment added by a James Longley which states “We bought that site in Nov 1903 for GBP4,550 and the total cost of the land, build and fit out was GBP7,040 18 shillings and 1p, completed in Jan 1905. I have a very interesting accounts book detailing over 100 properties in Leeds my GG Grandfather owned from the 1880's.” And refers to the present site.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

what a comprehensive set of replies!Thanks for filling in that fascinating bit of history for me.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Steve Jones wrote: what a comprehensive set of replies!Thanks for filling in that fascinating bit of history for me. I agree! Some amazing research there! Thanks
ex-Armley lad

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

By chance I've just come across a photo in the Leodis website that relates to the Longley building. I thought the photo (certainly what it is about) may be of interest so this is its link:- http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 528384Note the comment by James Longley.Edit added shortly after posting. I've just noticed that liits refers to this photo in the post on 20-May-2013 08:07:24.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.