Pointless Double Yellows?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Thought I'd start a threat to see who could find the most pointless and stupid double yellow lines in and around Leeds.I am car-less (not careless!) at the moment so was on the bus coming from town earlier and on the bus you can spot things more easily than what you do driving. I noticed going down North Street, these seemingly pointless double-yellow lines:Not as if a car could even get on there in the first place! Also, the red cycle lane means it is compulsory, therefore, should not be driving in except for cycles.
Simon -H-

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Possibly to stop someone parking straddling the cycle lane, wheels on pavement and island. I'm sure someon will still try though and they couldn't have any excuse if then ticketed, clamped or towed.Is that the top of skinner lane at North Street?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

The lines are incorrect as usual they are not terminated by a bar of yellow. Plus a motorbike or scooter could park there, but a cycle lane is a double yellow any way. Pointless twice then.

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

Do the double yellows round the roundabout at the end of Stonegate Rd/Scotthall Rd/Harrogate Rd and the Grammar School roundabout count?
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Loiner1960 wrote: The lines are incorrect as usual they are not terminated by a bar of yellow. Plus a motorbike or scooter could park there, but a cycle lane is a double yellow any way. Pointless twice then. I suspect this will be due to some resurfacing work. Is it not the case now that where they are broken in this way, they are deemed to be contiuous for penalty purposes.And yes, there will always be those who will see no wrong and park where they wish in the absence of these things

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Loiner1960 wrote: The lines are incorrect as usual they are not terminated by a bar of yellow. Plus a motorbike or scooter could park there, but a cycle lane is a double yellow any way. Pointless twice then. The Department Of Transport states that all Double Yellow Lines should have a T-Bar to indicate where they end - You are quite right! In fact, I used this one and got out of an unfair parking charge in Leeds City Centre - Markets outdoor Car Park behind Millgarth Police Station - The surface is absolutely shocking and double yellow lines exist that have mostly worn away and no restriction signs?
Simon -H-

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

tyke bhoy wrote: Possibly to stop someone parking straddling the cycle lane, wheels on pavement and island. I'm sure someon will still try though and they couldn't have any excuse if then ticketed, clamped or towed.Is that the top of skinner lane at North Street? Potentially, mind you, look on the outskirts of Leeds and people desperate for spaces will park however they like to get a decent spot - Verges, in between boulders etc. I've seen quite a good few myself!
Simon -H-

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The old pool carpark at Westgate is a sight to behold some days Simon.Early birds park. double rows back to back then late arrival park in front and behind them leaving two crs in the middle car locked!!!!Those creating the obstruction are identifed by the arrival times on their pay & display tickets and then - get a ticket from the visiting wardens.One lady was enraged by this 'unfair treatment' (the poor girl trapped had been sat there waiting to leave for over two hours), and prcedded to take pictures to prove she was not in the wrong (in her far removed and stupid mind that is!).

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

I come accross this every time I try to park in there. It's a free-for-all and I'm surprised there hasn't been an accident yet. For that reason and the shocking craters within the car park, I will no longer park there....Just a thought but my picture on the opening post...If you stood your bicycle up there and left it (chained with 10mm thick chain preferably!), would you get a ticket? Just a strange scenario, but a bicycle is a vehicle at the end of the day.
Simon -H-

Si

Post by Si »

simon2710 wrote: Thought I'd start a threat to see who could find the most pointless and stupid double yellow lines in and around Leeds.I am car-less (not careless!) at the moment so was on the bus coming from town earlier and on the bus you can spot things more easily than what you do driving. I noticed going down North Street, these seemingly pointless double-yellow lines:Not as if a car could even get on there in the first place! Also, the red cycle lane means it is compulsory, therefore, should not be driving in except for cycles. It looks like "MP extraordinaire" Greg Mulholland is already on the spot!!!