Neon sign from my youth.

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="tilly"[Very funny BLAKEY There is a sign at Rawden Crematorium on the way in it says one way only.    Well tilly, sadly no-one, but no-one, can argue with that Incidentally, before there was a crematorium on that site, there was a little lodge house at that entrance and a faded maroon name board indicating that within was the Mitchell Memorial Home - presumably sheltered housing of some kind.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

tilly

Post by tilly »

BLAKEY wrote: [quotenick="tilly"[Very funny BLAKEY There is a sign at Rawden Crematorium on the way in it says one way only.     Well tilly, sadly no-one, but no-one, can argue with that Incidentally, before there was a crematorium on that site, there was a little lodge house at that entrance and a faded maroon name board indicating that within was the Mitchell Memorial Home - presumably sheltered housing of some kind.So the grounds could have been someones garden.I must say it is very nice to see the grounds sad to say the only times i have been there i was in no mood to look around.Sorry every one back to the thread.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

BLAKEY wrote: [quotenick="tilly"[Very funny BLAKEY There is a sign at Rawden Crematorium on the way in it says one way only.     Well tilly, sadly no-one, but no-one, can argue with that Incidentally, before there was a crematorium on that site, there was a little lodge house at that entrance and a faded maroon name board indicating that within was the Mitchell Memorial Home - presumably sheltered housing of some kind.I remember reading somewhere that there was large house where the crematorium is now.The ownwer's son was killed in the first world war and he donated the house to be used as a home/hospital for wounded soldiers.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Lilysmum wrote: BLAKEY wrote: [quotenick="tilly"[Very funny BLAKEY There is a sign at Rawden Crematorium on the way in it says one way only.     Well tilly, sadly no-one, but no-one, can argue with that Incidentally, before there was a crematorium on that site, there was a little lodge house at that entrance and a faded maroon name board indicating that within was the Mitchell Memorial Home - presumably sheltered housing of some kind. I remember reading somewhere that there was large house where the crematorium is now.The ownwer's son was killed in the first world war and he donated the house to be used as a home/hospital for wounded soldiers. Hi Lilysmum That fits in with the size of the grounds it must have been a big house looking at the site.If the gate house is still there i can see Phill popping up there with his trusty Nikon. Ps I dont know why this tends to join in with the post i have answered to.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

tilly wrote: [I remember reading somewhere that there was large house where the crematorium is now.The ownwer's son was killed in the first world war and he donated the house to be used as a home/hospital for wounded soldiers. Hi Lilysmum That fits in with the size of the grounds it must have been a big house looking at the site.If the gate house is still there i can see Phill popping up there with his trusty Nikon.    The gatehouse is long gone - I can't remember when, but possibly in connection with the establishment of the crematorium.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Leodian wrote: geoffb wrote: The Guinness advert was on this gable end where the Pearl Assurance advert is.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... ifier=7970     There used to be an animated Babycham neon advert that I liked that would be where (or about where) the Pearl advert is in the Leodis photo. I also liked the animated neon horses on the side of Jim Windsor's on Vicar Lane. It will be very many years since they were removed, so I wonder if anyone knows what dates those two were around? http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ighLight=1

Whyme

Post by Whyme »

BLAKEY wrote: tilly wrote: [I remember reading somewhere that there was large house where the crematorium is now.The ownwer's son was killed in the first world war and he donated the house to be used as a home/hospital for wounded soldiers. Hi Lilysmum That fits in with the size of the grounds it must have been a big house looking at the site.If the gate house is still there i can see Phill popping up there with his trusty Nikon.     The gatehouse is long gone - I can't remember when, but possibly in connection with the establishment of the crematorium.The house was woodleigh hall , which became a nursing home.It is now used for apartments in the main mansion house and they are some new build apartments on the grounds.Try looking up woodleigh hall on knott lane.If i remember right i think the yep did a good article about ww1 and woodleigh hall about a year or 2 ago.    

Whyme

Post by Whyme »

Bit more on the knott lane thread.

Whyme

Post by Whyme »

Sorry just realised the place was woodlands hospital.Woodleigh hall was on the grounds of the hospital.

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

The house which stood on the crem site was called Knottfield house and had 3 lodges.It was demolished in the early 1950's