Bentley's Yorkshire Brewery

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

MarkV wrote: Here's a BYB mirror in the York Castle Museum. I don't know where it was from originally though. That's fantastic - it (or something almost identical) was in the Fox and Newt until about a year ago. it disappeared when new owner's took over and I was worried it might be lost - but looks like its safe.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

howard

Post by howard »

Hello. My name is Howard Benson. I'm currently compiling the history of Bentley's for my website www.WoodlesfordStation.co.ukI'd be interested in hearing from people who worked at the brewery, and also from anybody who has a connection to Water Haigh colliery at Woodlesford, Armitage's quarry and brickworks and the railway which ran through the village. My email is [email protected] brewery was opened in 1828 as a family concern by Thomas and Henry Bentley and later in the 1880s was incorporated as a Ltd company. I hope to publish as much as I can next year.    

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

B Y B signage,between the windows, outside the Unicorn in Skipton (This is now a hotel rather than a pub)    
Attachments
__TFMF_mai12p55xioztljhtjxm5aal_d17911df-91fe-4bf6-b5b8-2e0b06f321d9_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_mai12p55xioztljhtjxm5aal_d17911df-91fe-4bf6-b5b8-2e0b06f321d9_0_main.jpg (109.28 KiB) Viewed 5260 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

originally posted on a duplicate thread by simong,UserLocation: Farsley, just off the roundaboutJoined on: 08-Sep-2007 10:47:44Posted: 624 posts #Posted on: 09-Feb-2013 11:01:34. The excellent brewery historian Ron Pattinson has turned his attention to Bentley's, and asks the question what happened to Bentley's pubs after the Whitbread takeover in 1968:http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... 1959.htmlI know that there is Bentley's memorabilia in some pubs in Leeds, including the West End House and some of the Market Town Taverns such as Town Street Tavern in Horsforth, but where Melbourne pubs had their courtiers, some of which still survive, what identified a Bentley's pub and do any
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Can we move Uncle Micks photos here too pls? Where are these Mick?I especially like the tiles?
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

liits

Post by liits »

From 1872 through until they were taken over by Whitbread, here's a list of their pubs in Leeds;All the year round – Chapeltown Road - closed 1925Bay Horse, Bay Horse Yard, Briggate – closed 1907Bellevue Hotel, Burley Road [previously a Brunswick Brewery pub] – closed 1916Boyne Tavern, Jack Lane [later sold to Tetley’s] - closed 1937Buck Hotel, Kirkgate and Briggate [and the earlier premises of the same name] – closed 1911Bull & Mouth, Theaker Lane, Armley – closed 1936Byron Hotel North Street [previously Leeds City Breweries] – closed 1918Cabbage Inn, Leathley Road, Hunslet – closed 1925Cardigan Arms, Lower Town Street, Bramley – rebuilt by WhitbreadCardigan Arms, Kirkstall Road [previously Privately Owned – later sold to Tetley’s]Cattle Market Hotel, Gelderd Road [subsequently sold to Ramsden’s and later to Tetley’s]Cricketer’s Arms [previously known as the Monkbridge Inn], Whitehall Road [subsequently sold to Tetley’s and later to John Smith’s]Crown Hotel, Meanwood Street & Alfred Cross Street – closed 1918Crown Inn, Low Road, Hunslet – closed 1927Crown Inn, York Road – closed 1924Crown & Anchor, Vicar Lane [later sold to Tetley’s] – closed 1920Fenton Arms, Thwaite Gate [previously Kirkstall Brewery and Brunswick Brewery] – closed 1938Fox & Grapes Hotel, Kirkgate – closed 1874George IV – Church Street, Hunslet [previously Brunswick Brewery] George IV, Woodhouse Lane [later sold to Leeds City Brewery – Ind Coope] – closed 1938Gipton Wood Inn, Roundhay Road.Golden Cross – North Street [prior to 1913 had been privately owned]Green Man, Church Street, Hunslet – closed 1950.Hopewell Inn, Glasshouse Street [subsequently sold to Ramsden’s later to Bass Charrington] - closed 1968.Kings Arms, St Peter’s Square, Quarry Hill – closed 1912.Malt Shovel Inn, Lower Headrow – closed 1927.Mexborough Arms, Low Road, Hunslet [later sold to Melbourne] – closed 1930.New Crown Inn, Templar Street – closed 1907New Inn, Otley RoadNew Peacock, Elland Road Oak Inn, Meanwood Road [previously Brunswick Brewery] .Oak Hotel, Oak Road & Canal Street, Armley [later sold to Sam Smiths and subsequently John Smiths].Old Peacock Inn, Elland Road – closed 1963.Oldfield Hotel Oldfield Lane, Wortley [re-built from the original, privately owned premises of the same name].Parkfield House Hotel, Dewsbury Road [rebuilt 1894]Parkfield Hotel, Dewsbury Road [re-built in 1894 from the original premises, later sold to Tetley’s].Railway Hotel Balm Road, Hunslet.Railway Inn, Town Street, Beeston [previously Brunswick Brewery].Scarborough Castle, Hunslet Lane [later sold to John Smith’s, subsequently Melbourne]Spinners Arms, Garland Fold, Marsh Lane – closed 1927.Stag Hotel, York Road [later sold to Albion Brewery] – closed 1939.Stag Inn, Camp Road – closed 1932.Three Tuns Inn, Wellington Street – closed 1907.Travellers Inn, Hill Top, Upper Armley [closed 1937, replaced by present building]Travellers Inn, Hill Top, Upper Armley [1937 replacement of previous premises]Victoria Hotel, York Road. [later Ind Coope subsequently Willow Brewery. Premises later demolished]Victoria Inn, North Street [later re-addressed as Vicar Lane] – closed 1920.Wheat Sheaf Inn, Gelderd Road [later sold to John Smith’s].William IV, Lower Wortley Road.Windsor Castle Hotel, Shelley Street – closed 1918.Woolpacks Inn, Towngate, Holbeck previously Cutler’s of Saville Green, then Shelton’s Derby Brewery subsequently sold to Ind Coope and rebuilt by them in 1901].Yorkshire Hussar, Town Street, Stanningley [later sold to Albion Brewery].

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Can we move Uncle Micks photos here too pls? farm7.staticflickr.com/6078/6153992326_27c8a03f88_z.jpg[/img]Where are these Mick?I especially like the tiles? I couldnt do it Phil,hence why i didnt delete the thread,i copied and pasted but to no avail.What did you do?PS i cant delete the thread either,keeps coming up with server error,i suppose dsco has done something to stop anything being lost during all the changes
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I just used this little gizmo to move the photoshttps://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/forum-tags-plus-image-tags/It only works for firefox browser though.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Derculees

Post by Derculees »

big s wrote: oops it wasnt the byb man it was the OBJ man.do you remember the letters stood for oh be joyful and his body was made out of the letters obj.but i think....... it was a byb pub. I painted a copy of that joyful little feller on a railway bridge, could have been near Hollins Hill, Shipley. He held a stalk of wheat or barley in his left hand, and the stalk curved over his head and hovered over a pint glass of beer in his right hand.
Touch not but the glove

Derculees

Post by Derculees »

Another pub for your list liits, is the Ivy, Valley Road, Pudsey. Still open, don't know who's beer it is now. Learned to drink babies yellow ... bitter there after delivering quite few regurgitated pints to Knostrop via the porcelain portal.
Touch not but the glove