Bentley's Yorkshire Brewery

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
howard

Post by howard »

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

BYB pubs in Morley were the Nelson, and the Hembrig (Morley Dashers) The Carriers, The Sportsman, and The Cross Keys. I think the Griffin at Gildersome was also BYB. I can't say I was a big fan of the beer, but then I was only about 18/19 when they were taken over by Whitbread, as were Duttons (OBJ at Kirkstall and Blackburn) and Whitakers of Halifax. Duttons had a pub called "The Prospect" in Morley opposite the Nelson, which has been closed for years. Presumably Whitbreads did a bit of rationalsation there
Industria Omnia Vincit

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

The Old Tree boozer in Kippax has the BYB logo in the doorway floor all made out of mossaic tiles! I posted a pic elsewhere on the site, Maybe it was in Signs of old Leodis?
Love a Landrover

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

rangieowner wrote: The Old Tree boozer in Kippax has the BYB logo in the doorway floor all made out of mossaic tiles! I posted a pic elsewhere on the site, Maybe it was in Signs of old Leodis? Here's a pic I took of it recently anyway
Attachments
__TFMF_i55hp1benxdgfh45qnthyw55_527d3bef-5251-4f46-a15f-2bfdb80c0998_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_i55hp1benxdgfh45qnthyw55_527d3bef-5251-4f46-a15f-2bfdb80c0998_0_main.jpg (895.16 KiB) Viewed 4081 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

Its easy to think BYB was open longer than it was, because it turned into a Whitbread brewery, I think it finally shut sometime during the '70's

railnut

Post by railnut »

electricaldave wrote: Its easy to think BYB was open longer than it was, because it turned into a Whitbread brewery, I think it finally shut sometime during the '70's My local boozer was the Gipton Hotel [now The Roundhay] on Roundhay Road and this was a BYB house. I seem to remember that the brewery was under the Whitbread umbrella, as it was termed, from about the 1960. I worked there [the pub that is] in the mid sixties and all the bottles on sale were of the Whitbread family. Including Whitbread Tankard.Moving forward a little, your quite right 'electric'. During the sixties and into the mid seventies I worked for a company called George Porteus & Sons Ltd which was located on the opposite corner to the Tetley brewery on Hunslet Lane. The company were "Brewery Engineers" and made machinery for the 'dry' side of breweries. This included the conveyor equipment for the malt, and one machine in the portfolio was a Malt Mill, ie a roller grinder.In 1973, I was the Project Engineer given the task of taking out the mill from the BYB brewery and transfering it to Kirkstall brewery. The reason being that Woodlesford was closing its brewery operation and the site was to become a bottling and distribution centre for the whole of Whitbreads products in the region. Kirkstall, meanwhile, was to up its brewing production and hence the mill being transfered, as it had a bigger grinding capacity than the existing one. All this was as a temporary measure until Salmesbury brewery near Preston was completed.I think that S'bury was complete in the late 70's and then Kirkstall closed.When Woodlesford finally closed as a depot I'm not sure, but me [and the lads] moving out the mill puts the last brewing date as 1973.What a good time we had on that project!! Beer rations from two sources.    

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

drapesy wrote: rangieowner wrote: The Old Tree boozer in Kippax has the BYB logo in the doorway floor all made out of mossaic tiles! I posted a pic elsewhere on the site, Maybe it was in Signs of old Leodis? Here's a pic I took of it recently anyway That's the puppy!!!! good ere innit?
Love a Landrover

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Back in the 50's Bentley's was what we described as "an acquired taste". BYB was often referred to as "Baby's Yellow B--a"! This said I believe it was popular in mining areas. Anyone remember "Baby Olds"? It was a very dark old beer and was sold in small bottles and was often added to a pint when half of it had been drunk - needless to say you didn't need many.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

railnut wrote: electricaldave wrote: Its easy to think BYB was open longer than it was, because it turned into a Whitbread brewery, I think it finally shut sometime during the '70's My local boozer was the Gipton Hotel [now The Roundhay] on Roundhay Road and this was a BYB house. I seem to remember that the brewery was under the Whitbread umbrella, as it was termed, from about the 1960. I worked there [the pub that is] in the mid sixties and all the bottles on sale were of the Whitbread family. Including Whitbread Tankard.Moving forward a little, your quite right 'electric'. During the sixties and into the mid seventies I worked for a company called George Porteus & Sons Ltd which was located on the opposite corner to the Tetley brewery on Hunslet Lane. The company were "Brewery Engineers" and made machinery for the 'dry' side of breweries. This included the conveyor equipment for the malt, and one machine in the portfolio was a Malt Mill, ie a roller grinder.In 1973, I was the Project Engineer given the task of taking out the mill from the BYB brewery and transfering it to Kirkstall brewery. The reason being that Woodlesford was closing its brewery operation and the site was to become a bottling and distribution centre for the whole of Whitbreads products in the region. Kirkstall, meanwhile, was to up its brewing production and hence the mill being transfered, as it had a bigger grinding capacity than the existing one. All this was as a temporary measure until Salmesbury brewery near Preston was completed.I think that S'bury was complete in the late 70's and then Kirkstall closed.When Woodlesford finally closed as a depot I'm not sure, but me [and the lads] moving out the mill puts the last brewing date as 1973.What a good time we had on that project!! Beer rations from two sources.     My first-ever taste of ale was BYB. My parents were quite strict Methodists (although they did drink alcohol from about 1970 onwards), but mum decided one year that she wanted some beer to put in the Christmas pudding. She made her own in those days. She wouldn't have been seen dead in a pub at that time (late 1950s), so got my grandad to bring a bottle back from the New Inn at Calverley. She's specified "old ale", and it was a bottle of "Old Timothy", I think. Anyway, it all got tipped into the pud - ISTR that carrot was included in the ingredients, and the empty bottle put on one side to be rinsed and returned, as there'd be 2d returnable on it, and such things counted! Mum popped out to chat to a neighbour, so yours truly managed to sup the dregs. Tasted just like grandad's breath smelt after he'd come home from the pub.Used to pass Duttons Kirkstall brewery on the West Yorkshire bus routes which served Calverley from Leeds, (30 and 31, if you're interested, or 43 at certain times). The Bridge Inn at Kirkstall was Dutton, and ISTR the Star & Garter was, as well. But my memory is that Kirkstall brewed Mackeson stout. Is that still in existence?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Si

Post by Si »

I think Mackeson's is still available - someone told me on this site a while ago, Uno Hoo. And I remember BYB being known as "baby's yellow baba," too, Johnny!