Bentley's Yorkshire Brewery

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Anyone got any pictures of the old brewery, now houses and flats in Woodlesford?
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

no piccies but i do remember it well. only the gatehosue is left now which IIRC the devloper started pulling down also and then it was pointed out that it was listed so they ended up putting the roof back on and refurbing instead. The Gascoigne in Garforth (terrible pub) has a BYB logo in stained glass on one of the windows (unless someone or something has been hurled through it since i was in there last...)

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

The Coach & Horses in Rothwell still has a BYB window I think (behind the chipboard). It is currently being converted into shops and flats.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

"There's NO better beer than BYB!"I remember the ads and better still, my first pints of BYB as a 14 year old. It were SO much better than Tets or Smiths.Will try to find pics of the brewery...
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Scandyladdo!I wondered why you hiccuped and burped such a lot.after you fell up the stairs! And you in short keks as well(Kidding!)Yer right, It was a good drop o' gargle!As a van salesman (Name dropper!) I worked for a car electricalfactors, and a weekly 'call' was to BYB at Eshaldwell Brewery.They say the 'Well' water was what gave the Ale it's unique taste,However, after talking to the garage foreman there,I was informedthat the 'Well' was supplied from the river Aire,closeby! It did go thru a purifier before it got to the brew mash in the tuns! Thank goodnessfor that, say I! Scandy would have glowed in the dark otherwise.I had a few 'cupfulls' myself,kind permission of the Foreman. Istill say I drove better after leaving the brewery!Happy days.all gone.arry

big s

Post by big s »

does any body have any pictures of the byb man which was a neon sign/figure on the side of the bay horse pub in hunslet carr in the late sixties?
at least until the world stops going round.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Soz big S - done a search for your neon man and turned up bugger all. :-(However, I did find a pic of the pub where I first drank BYB ale (as I mentioned above), on matchdays at E.R.! Another sadly long gone Leeds pub.P.S. just noticed - that'll be me then chuckin up, bottom left of the photo! :-)
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Ya never could hold it! Hope the landlord spotted you and made u swill the flags down b4 u staggered home!arry

big s

Post by big s »

oops it wasnt the byb man it was the OBJ man.do you remember the letters stood for oh be joyful and his body was made out of the letters obj.but i think....... it was a byb pub.
at least until the world stops going round.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Her's a photo of the Wodlesford brewery from LeodisOBJ - (oh, be joyful) was a Dutton's brand. Both Duttons (Blackburn and Kirkstall) and BYB were taken over by Whitbread in the 60's
Attachments
__TFMF_0nut2j45a0ssgbngad40sx45_700bfb0c-cc44-4b12-a5c1-d6e8a5bbc5a8_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_0nut2j45a0ssgbngad40sx45_700bfb0c-cc44-4b12-a5c1-d6e8a5bbc5a8_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (16.79 KiB) Viewed 5516 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.