Melbourne Brewery Signs

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

The Courtier mosaic at the Fleece (Middle 'oil) in Churwell has gone along with the top storey. I'd say by next week the lot'll be gone.
Industria Omnia Vincit

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Thats a tragedy - it was probably the best surviving example.On a more hopeful note the floor mosaic at the Haddon Hall is still there - Hopefully it will survive the alterations/conversion to shops
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

liits

Post by liits »

Bowing out.
Attachments
__TFMF_ower5qf2pblidp5541bvca25_087ed0ac-42ac-46d5-89fe-0d8b846338ae_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ower5qf2pblidp5541bvca25_087ed0ac-42ac-46d5-89fe-0d8b846338ae_0_main.jpg (155.37 KiB) Viewed 3327 times

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Well the Fleece (Middle 'oil) may be gone, but the Melbourne trademark mosaic lives on. Preserved, restored, and incorporated in the north facing wall of the new building. So it's not all bad.     
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Trojan wrote: Well the Fleece (Middle 'oil) may be gone, but the Melbourne trademark mosaic lives on. Preserved, restored, and incorporated in the north facing wall of the new building. So it's not all bad.      Some good news from the demise of yet another pubThe Junction on Dewsbury Road is being converted into flats.For the moment there is still one courtier in the downstairs window,but as all windows on the newly extended first floor have been replaced then im not holding out much hope.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Trojan wrote: Well the Fleece (Middle 'oil) may be gone, but the Melbourne trademark mosaic lives on. Preserved, restored, and incorporated in the north facing wall of the new building. So it's not all bad.      thats good news indeed
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

The remnants of many pubs in the West Yorkshire area, handpumps, windows signs (including the sign from the former Sycamore at Morley) are to be found among the bric-a-brac at Spa Farm Architectural Antiques, Spa Street, Ossett. I suppose there might be some Melbourne Brewery stuff.

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Nick K wrote: Wakefield city centre has the best example of surviving melbourne signage I have seen. The Jockey pub on Northgate opposite the main post office has a large original melbourne courtier mosaic over the door and the windows are original with a leftie and rightie.Also The Black Rock has a surviving curved etched courtier window on the way into the pub. Athe back there are some original melbourne windows also these are well worth checking out! The Jockey is now closed, & bears those dreaded signs 'Under Development' (I remember going in to see friends in the late 80's, when it was very mucha 'biker'/heavy-metal pub)http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2035 ... 056DPnZkJI was in 'The Black Rock' in December, with SWMBO to see some friends of hers, & it's a lovely interior, mainly untouched.I may be in the city-centre during the week, so will see what I can do in terms of picturesAs An Aside;Does anyone know of this book??I got it from oneof the local Libraries a few weeks ago, & have just bought it from Waterstones in WakefieldIt's superb!!http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yorkshires-Real ... 862&sr=8-1

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

The Jockey is now surounded by plywood 'protective' screens, stating that it's undergoing refurbishment for 'retail/entertainment premises' (or words to that effect)The 'Courtier' to the Registry Office side is still visible, I must make that trip to the city (but with a camera this time!!)

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I thought it may still be of interest so I have posted this photo I took on August 11 2011 of the Melbourne sign on an outside wall of The Palace Hotel on Kirkgate. I have done a search and found that SL member 20522tay posted a similar photo on May 14 2007 that was taken that day (see page 1 of this thread). As it is now over 4 years since that photo was taken it is clear that the sign is being kept in good order.
Attachments
__TFMF_u5qzicemdhcwj255jb10mt55_6a3f6562-ad01-4514-b3e2-95c6c1020e79_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_u5qzicemdhcwj255jb10mt55_6a3f6562-ad01-4514-b3e2-95c6c1020e79_0_main.jpg (135.05 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.