Leeds pre worboys signs

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
sirjohn

Post by sirjohn »

simon2710 wrote: Not so much a "sign", but a very old post on Regent Street going into Leeds (on junction with Skinner Lane). Looks like a old pedstrian crossing?The Renault garage is of course no longer with us! However, the post can still be seen when you pass the spare land. I pass it on a daily basis.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 5,,0,17.73     looks a bit low for a crossing gubbins. perhaps some kind of controller / detector loop for traffic signals or something?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Cardiarms wrote: There's on of these in bound as well, but on the other side of Horsforth, obviously: I believe these are relatively new (And a bit a bit nonsensical actually as you would have turn 180 degrees to be 5m from Leeds)    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I seem to remember them beimg there years. The distance does refer to what's behind you and what's to come. The one on the way into leeds has the distance ro ilkley at the bottom. Why ilkley?

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

The Horsforth signs are pretty close to the boundaries of Horsforth urban district so I'm guessing they were put there by the old council. A quick Google suggests what's now the A65 started off as the Kirkstall, Ilkley and Shipley turnpike trust road (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/ ... ?ID=O68015) so it was probably the end points of that. The toll road opened in 1827 and I'd be interested to see what Kirkstall and Horsforth looked like before it was built, but the oldest maps on old-maps.co.uk only go back to the mid 1850s.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Cardiarms wrote: There's on of these in bound as well, but on the other side of Horsforth, obviously: Noticed today that the inbound sign has the same distances but they're about two miles apart.