A Tetley's pub called The Belle Vue?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

stodge. wrote: What about the Belle Vue police garage near the Uni, it must have got its name from somewhere, is it possible there was a pub in that area before the flats/houses went up ? It's on Belle Vue Road. Arry will probably know if there was a Belle Vue pub round there. I don't think there was though. Is anyone on here a member of CAMRA ? Will they have a list of Tetley pubs or has anyone thought of ringing Tetleys brewery?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Si

Post by Si »

Chrism wrote: stodge. wrote: What about the Belle Vue police garage near the Uni, it must have got its name from somewhere, is it possible there was a pub in that area before the flats/houses went up ? It's on Belle Vue Road. Arry will probably know if there was a Belle Vue pub round there. I don't think there was though. I know the sign obviously isn't this old, but I've had a look at the 1908 Godfrey map, and there isn't a single "PH" marked on Belle Vue Road. This doesn't mean there wasn't a pub though, as quite a few are missed off from previous experience.However, there is a "Club" marked between Belle Vue Avenue and Belle Vue Crescent. As no one's heard of a Belle Vue pub in Leeds, perhaps the sign is from a club, rather than a pub?    

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I'm going to stick my neck out, perhaps ,but I would say;1. there hasn't been a pub in Leeds called the 'Belle Vue' within living memory(or even 'Arry's!)2. it's definitely a pub sign
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I can't back this up but there's a whole swathe of of NW Leeds that has no pubs and I don't think ever did because of covenants on the land. How many pubs between Burley Road and Headingley Lane? Roayl Park, Little Park, Newlands......?

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

simong wrote: FLOJO wrote: my husbands late grand parents had the Belle Vue pub in Manchester in the 50's He says it was opposite the zoo gates but set 200 meters back in a row of terrace houses, from there they went to a pub in Stockport. No surprise really. Was it a Tetley's house though? simong as far has my husband can remember it was a Tetleys house,
Ex Leeds Lass

Si

Post by Si »

FLOJO wrote: simong wrote: FLOJO wrote: my husbands late grand parents had the Belle Vue pub in Manchester in the 50's He says it was opposite the zoo gates but set 200 meters back in a row of terrace houses, from there they went to a pub in Stockport. No surprise really. Was it a Tetley's house though? simong as far has my husband can remember it was a Tetleys house, I guess this must be the origin of the sign, then?