A Tetley's pub called The Belle Vue?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
simong

Post by simong »

Trojan wrote: They are very self sufficient. They have their own version of everything. Hand pulled bitter, keg mild, lager (Ayingerbrau) organic lager, pils lager, cider, they even have their own version of Guiness - same goes for the stuff on optic - it's all their "own label" version. Perhaps that's how they keep the price down? It's something like that. It's still a fairly idiosyncratic business: one splendid, if annoying, case in point happened to me in the Angel a couple of years ago. I wanted a pint of their wheat beer, but the bar staff told me that they had to serve it in the proper glass, and if none were available, they were not to serve it. There was even a note under the till enforcing this rule.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

simong wrote: Trojan wrote: They are very self sufficient. They have their own version of everything. Hand pulled bitter, keg mild, lager (Ayingerbrau) organic lager, pils lager, cider, they even have their own version of Guiness - same goes for the stuff on optic - it's all their "own label" version. Perhaps that's how they keep the price down? It's something like that. It's still a fairly idiosyncratic business: one splendid, if annoying, case in point happened to me in the Angel a couple of years ago. I wanted a pint of their wheat beer, but the bar staff told me that they had to serve it in the proper glass, and if none were available, they were not to serve it. There was even a note under the till enforcing this rule. They don't advertise either!!Good for them.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Not a nice owner though if last nights "Inside Out" is to be believed.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Right peeps, I've had a reply from the owners of the store and they say ... ... ... ... Thanks for your inquiry about Goats on the Roof and the outdoor Sign… I wish I could help but the sign came from a friend of mine who is now passed on. He did come to America from the UK. I have had it for about 15 years, can’t tell you how old. It is, but it is old.....and that get's us not very much closer.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Si

Post by Si »

Chrism wrote: Right peeps, I've had a reply from the owners of the store and they say ... ... ... ... Thanks for your inquiry about Goats on the Roof and the outdoor Sign… I wish I could help but the sign came from a friend of mine who is now passed on. He did come to America from the UK. I have had it for about 15 years, can’t tell you how old. It is, but it is old.....and that get's us not very much closer. Oh dear. I'd love to know how it got there, and where the Belle Vue was. At least we can assume that it did come from the UK, and wasn't knocked up by someone over there.Also, that design is much older than 15 years. There's one on the back of the Black Bull in Otley.    

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I'd put the style of the sign as c1950-1965
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

Trojan wrote: Steve Jones wrote: In fact just to wind loiners up, Manchester's famous speedway track was Belle Vue where I watched Belle Vue Aces ride back i n the 1970's! I used to go to Manchester quite a lot in the course of my work and visit a two customers in this area, one at Mount Street Levenshulme and the other at Denton. So I used to pass the old Belle Vue regularly, I don't recall seeing a pub with the name though. The Doncaster Rovers football ground used to be called Belle Vue, perhaps its from there? my husbands late grand parents had the Belle Vue pub in Manchester in the 50's He says it was opposite the zoo gates but set 200 meters back in a row of terrace houses, from there they went to a pub in Stockport.
Ex Leeds Lass

simong

Post by simong »

Si wrote: Oh dear. I'd love to know how it got there, and where the Belle Vue was. At least we can assume that it did come from the UK, and wasn't knocked up by someone over there.Also, that design is much older than 15 years. There's one on the back of the Black Bull in Otley.     Definitely, I would have said 50s or 60s. Thanks for asking though (like I didn't think of doing).I put 'Tetley's pubs' in Google and it came back with this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rikj/3815060471/ and the picture after: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rikj/3815069193/    

simong

Post by simong »

FLOJO wrote: my husbands late grand parents had the Belle Vue pub in Manchester in the 50's He says it was opposite the zoo gates but set 200 meters back in a row of terrace houses, from there they went to a pub in Stockport. No surprise really. Was it a Tetley's house though?

stodge.

Post by stodge. »

What about the Belle Vue police garage near the Uni, it must have got its name from somewhere, is it possible there was a pub in that area before the flats/houses went up ?