'Walkable Leeds' - New map

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
munki

Post by munki »

They are free... although it sounds like they've run out already at Leonardo. Maybe there would be some at the Gateway Yorkshire place on the station.They should be available online some time soon but I don't think the designers have released the electronic version to the Council yet as they are doing technology thingies with it so that the Council are able to amend it for themselves for specific events.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I don't see why it can't be put on here. LOADS of copyrighted pix from Leodis are put onto here.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

munki wrote: They are free... although it sounds like they've run out already at Leonardo. Maybe there would be some at the Gateway Yorkshire place on the station.They should be available online some time soon but I don't think the designers have released the electronic version to the Council yet as they are doing technology thingies with it so that the Council are able to amend it for themselves for specific events. If it's going to be on-line in the public domain, I can't see any reason for objecting to it being scanned-in here for, erm, research purposes perhaps

munki

Post by munki »

I'm sure if someone scanned it onto here, I would make sure that whoever did it did not get in any trouble. It's 'public domain' anyway... The idea of someone claiming that they own copyright on a map of a city seems a bit like them claiming that they have copyright on the city itself which is ridiculous...Oh, or is it? Actually, I think some people do think like they own the copyright on Leeds, anyway. ;-)
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

munki wrote: Have any of you had a chance to have a look at the new 'official' map of Leeds yet? I can't find an electronic copy but paper versions are available from various council offices. You can get one from the reception of the Leonardo Building on the south-east corner of Millennium Square opposite Revolution Bar.I think it's rather nice, actually. I was expecting to be all cynical about it! I never knew that the park opposite the Palace & Parish Church was called 'Penny Pocket Park'. But maps of cities are always a bit weird... & can tell you something interesting about the story that the city WANTS TO TELL about itself. For instance, try as I might, I can't see the disused Holbeck Viaduct on there. There is not even a blank space where it should be, or a bridge marked where it crosses the Aire. If you were walking along the canal for the first time, that kind of ommission might be enough to make you think you were lost. I wonder why it was missed off?I'd like to hear what people think of the map.     It used to amuse me in the 60's that the whole of Holbeck loco shed was omitted from the OS maps - presumably for strategic reasons, although at the time the Russians had bombs big enough to destroy the whole of Yorkshire so pinpoint accuracy wasn't necessary. One of the most prominent landmarks on the N Yorks moors , the Radomes at Fylingdales EWS, were also not marked on the OS maps of the time ( but they were inked in on mine).
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

hyperioncantlogin

Re: 'Walkable Leeds' - New map

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

warringtonrhino

Re:

Post by warringtonrhino »

munki wrote:I'm sure if someone scanned it onto here, I would make sure that whoever did it did not get in any trouble. It's 'public domain' anyway... The idea of someone claiming that they own copyright on a map of a city seems a bit like them claiming that they have copyright on the city itself which is ridiculous...Oh, or is it? Actually, I think some people do think like they own the copyright on Leeds, anyway. ;-)
Copyright is an automatic right that applies to technical drawings, diagrams, maps, logos. Copyright automatically exists under law whenever an individual creates any type of work provided it is original and exhibit some degree of labour, skill or judgement in its creation. Normally the individual who authored the work will exclusively own the work and is referred to as the ‘first owner of copyright’. Rights cannot be claimed for any part of a work which is a copy taken from a previous work. The copyright owner has exclusive rights. Copying the work, publicly transmitting the work or adapt the work, are only allowed with the owner’s permission: The author of a work also has the right to be identified as the author.
I have produced several maps of Leeds for which I claim the copyright, I don't however claim copyright on Leeds.