'Walkable Leeds' - New map

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
munki

Post by munki »

Have any of you had a chance to have a look at the new 'official' map of Leeds yet? I can't find an electronic copy but paper versions are available from various council offices. You can get one from the reception of the Leonardo Building on the south-east corner of Millennium Square opposite Revolution Bar.I think it's rather nice, actually. I was expecting to be all cynical about it! I never knew that the park opposite the Palace & Parish Church was called 'Penny Pocket Park'. But maps of cities are always a bit weird... & can tell you something interesting about the story that the city WANTS TO TELL about itself. For instance, try as I might, I can't see the disused Holbeck Viaduct on there. There is not even a blank space where it should be, or a bridge marked where it crosses the Aire. If you were walking along the canal for the first time, that kind of ommission might be enough to make you think you were lost. I wonder why it was missed off?I'd like to hear what people think of the map.    
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Does the new map in any way resemble the old '3-D' map which is still in existance Munki? That was and still is in the opinion of many, perhaps the best and easiest of all to help people find their way about - its extensive use by so many commercial orgainisations perhaps contributing to that feeling.That was as I recall produced privately and became a victim of its own success - having been adopted by the City, the demand became so high that it was necessary to charge for it!Understandable but a shame - such a thing being freely available is a plus-point for anyone visiting Leeds as well as those of us who live here!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Are these free or for sale? Can I get/buy one online? does anyone have any details. If they're free could someone get one for me please. I will cover all costs.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Chrism wrote: Are these free or for sale? Can I get/buy one online? does anyone have any details. If they're free could someone get one for me please. I will cover all costs. Not online Munki says, not in town for a while now but if no one else gets there, I'll try to sort it for you in a couple of weeks Chris!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

If I go get one can I scan it in and put it here? does it have a copyright on it?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

LS1 wrote: If I go get one can I scan it in and put it here? does it have a copyright on it? Questionable - probably if the Council hasn't put it anywhere electronically - MUNKI????

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

LS1 wrote: If I go get one can I scan it in and put it here? does it have a copyright on it? If you go get one could you get me one please. I will cover all costs for you to send me it.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Just seen your msg Chameleon. Cheers.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Chrism wrote: Just seen your msg Chameleon. Cheers. (you'll probably end up with a sack full!)

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Got one from the Leonardo this aft but it was the last one left, sorry to anyone who went after 1pm and there weren't any there.Does have a copyright on it so I'm not gonna do anything I shouldn't then!It's OK, gives a good idea of whats about and that and think it would be pretty easy for a tourist to follow