Old Graffiti in Meanwood

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
pid

Post by pid »

cheers LS13 and do you know i think i may have been there with you when you found the red and grren candle wax in "devil worship pit" in meanwood woods for i am david potter and ive been trying to work out who you are since i saw your posts on here . if im wrong then please ignore this but if im right then .... hello ! how ya doing lol

LS13

Post by LS13 »

Now then DP..! ML here...sorry its taken a long time to see this, I don't get time to get on here very much. Sure there'll be a few common threads for us on here...

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

I remember the carving well from my youth.I looked up Kate in the 1891 and 1901 censuses. In 1891, she was aged 19, still living with her parents (the father was back home having been away in 1881). In 1901, she was living with her elder brother Herbert in St Marks Road near Woodhouse Moor. Herbert was a Fish Hawker but, strangely for that period, Kate wasn't working and aged 29 would be regarded as on the shelf.However, I did find a record of a marriage of a Katherine L Scholes to Alexander J Monahan in 1912 (when she would be 40) and they were married at Methodist Church, Woodhouse Moor (Hyde Park Road). This may be her, especially as a Herbert Scholes got married in Leeds in 1911.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Nowt to do with Leeds or Kate, but I was always fascinated with very similar carvings in the cow and calf rocks. Lovers out for a walk? So much more quaint to see such "graffiti"
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

This has got to be one of the most fascinating threads on this forum! Where the heck do you lot find all this info from? Well thanks anyroad and yet another reason why I spend so much of my limited free time on here!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

Piquet

Post by Piquet »

Hi All,    I heard about Ms. Scholes on the BBC Radio Leeds piece you did, and wondered if it linked to something I've seen in the Hollies.    There's a large stone in the centre of the Hollies with some intricate carving on it. Could John Scholes have been the culprit, or does anyone know where this *has* come from?    http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_kennaugh/2211974856/    Thanks all,    Piquet

Si

Post by Si »

That's an incredible piece of carving, Piquet (or can I call you Nelson?!) Is it badly worn around the edges, or is it designed like that? Looks pretty old. Reminds me of monastic floor tiles. Amazing.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

That's just showing off! ;-)
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

A shot of the Hancock stones appears on Flickr at:http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacobelle/ ... 2272840682

lankylocal

Post by lankylocal »

thanx everyone,really njoyed this thread as i've often wondered about the rock carving. i used to run past the rock during p.e. class at the local school! (don't run any more,but walk my dogs in the area most days). it's wonderful that we're wondering after so many many years cheers