The smallest-most dangerous cycle path in Leeds?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

simon2710 wrote: I was queuing in traffic down Roundhay Road on my way to work this morning (traffic has only got worse down here since the so-called improvements I would like to add. Low and behold, (really good camera moment) I noticed a cyclist zoom all the way down, handlebars inches from the bus shelter itself. I thought to myself, if anyone had been exiting the bus shelter, what a surprise they would have had!What I don't understand, is that there is a footpath on the other side of that silly plantation (or island?), so wouldn't it have been common sense to put the cycle track down that side and the footpath along where the bus shelter is?.....Then again, I am talking about Leeds City Council here, this is the council that sends out their contractors to cut the grass during thick snow. If he was a thick set bloke with hi viz on it could have been the same fella who nearly knocked me down. Mind you his hi-viz is no good if you can't see him in the first place I bet he was going at such a speed as to cause some serious injury Simon? Someone will get seriously hurt there!    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: simon2710 wrote: I was queuing in traffic down Roundhay Road on my way to work this morning (traffic has only got worse down here since the so-called improvements I would like to add. Low and behold, (really good camera moment) I noticed a cyclist zoom all the way down, handlebars inches from the bus shelter itself. I thought to myself, if anyone had been exiting the bus shelter, what a surprise they would have had!What I don't understand, is that there is a footpath on the other side of that silly plantation (or island?), so wouldn't it have been common sense to put the cycle track down that side and the footpath along where the bus shelter is?.....Then again, I am talking about Leeds City Council here, this is the council that sends out their contractors to cut the grass during thick snow. If he was a thick set bloke with hi viz on it could have been the same fella who nearly knocked me down. Mind you his hi-viz is no good if you can't see him in the first place I bet he was going at such a speed as to cause some serious bad injury Simon? Someone will get seriously hurt there!     Coincidentally, or not, the cyclist I mention in my post on November 6 (on page 1) was wearing a hi-viz jacket!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I have to say that I too have been effected by these so called "cyclists" flouting the rules of the the road. I was coming down Roundhay Road on my motorbike, slipped into the 2 plus lane (as I should) and go to the bus stop that is nearest to tesco heading into town. The bus pulls over, and the cyclist just decides without looking over his shoulder to just pull right out into the middle of the lane and caused me to emergency stop and nearly have to swerve into the lane of traffic next to me. A little futher pulled up at the lights, the cyclist had the cheek to tell me that I shouldn't have been in that lane in the first place... a few expletives back to him and told him to get his facts right and check the sign.I hate cyclists who flout the rules, why do some think they own the road and can do just what they want? It's not fair on others . In fact I think it's about time if you own a bike you have to have some form of insurance.Don't get me started on the ones that think it's OK to run red lights.......

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

LS1 wrote: I have to say that I too have been effected by these so called "cyclists" flouting the rules of the the road. I was coming down Roundhay Road on my motorbike, slipped into the 2 plus lane (as I should) and go to the bus stop that is nearest to tesco heading into town. The bus pulls over, and the cyclist just decides without looking over his shoulder to just pull right out into the middle of the lane and caused me to emergency stop and nearly have to swerve into the lane of traffic next to me. A little futher pulled up at the lights, the cyclist had the cheek to tell me that I shouldn't have been in that lane in the first place... a few expletives back to him and told him to get his facts right and check the sign.I hate cyclists who flout the rules, why do some think they own the road and can do just what they want? It's not fair on others . In fact I think it's about time if you own a bike you have to have some form of insurance.Don't get me started on the ones that think it's OK to run red lights....... Do you mind linking a picture of where you mean?You are right, motorcyclists can use 2+ lanes but from your description I think you are here:http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Roundha ... =h&z=19And the lane there isnt a 2+, its a bus lane which you can't use on a motorbike sorry. Of course google maps may be out of date, which wouldnt be the first time!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Google's imagery of Leeds is usually quite recent however in this case the Pedestrain Crossing in Phil's incident just down the road is not installed so its probably summer 2010 or earlier. The 2+ lane replaced the bus lane in Feb 11 http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/Internet2 ... ground.pdf
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

tyke bhoy wrote: Google's imagery of Leeds is usually quite recent however in this case the Pedestrain Crossing in Phil's incident just down the road is not installed so its probably summer 2010 or earlier. The 2+ lane replaced the bus lane in Feb 11 http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/Internet2 ... ground.pdf Cheers Tyke2+ lane is definately for us all on 2 wheels, wether self powered or not! Definately cheeky of the cyclist to tell you that your not supposed to be in it.Personally I prefer them to Bus Lanes to cycle in as I'm not alone in sharing a lane with only a huge great object that regards the lane as their own personal expressway. Unfortunately there are none on my commute and the Kirkstall Road 'improvement' is only fitting a bus lane and not the preferred 2+.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

The mention of cyclists having insurance reminded me of a holiday in Jersey many years ago.Cyclists had to have insurance and display a certificate in a sleeveattached under the saddle.If I venture into Leeds city centre in future I will try to take a short thick walking stick-dual purpose of course !this will give me the option of giving the offending cyclist a sharp jab or sticking it in the spokes.Respect ?
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

WiggyDiggy wrote: LS1 wrote: I have to say that I too have been effected by these so called "cyclists" flouting the rules of the the road. I was coming down Roundhay Road on my motorbike, slipped into the 2 plus lane (as I should) and go to the bus stop that is nearest to tesco heading into town. The bus pulls over, and the cyclist just decides without looking over his shoulder to just pull right out into the middle of the lane and caused me to emergency stop and nearly have to swerve into the lane of traffic next to me. A little futher pulled up at the lights, the cyclist had the cheek to tell me that I shouldn't have been in that lane in the first place... a few expletives back to him and told him to get his facts right and check the sign.I hate cyclists who flout the rules, why do some think they own the road and can do just what they want? It's not fair on others . In fact I think it's about time if you own a bike you have to have some form of insurance.Don't get me started on the ones that think it's OK to run red lights....... Do you mind linking a picture of where you mean?You are right, motorcyclists can use 2+ lanes but from your description I think you are here:http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Roundha ... =h&z=19And the lane there isnt a 2+, its a bus lane which you can't use on a motorbike sorry. Of course google maps may be out of date, which wouldnt be the first time! It does now say 2+ lane. Though I was not able to find anything in the highway code about who can use them.I'll try to get a photo of the actual sign and post. Don't get me wrong, I am not against cyclists as I am one sometimes, but everyone has to give way to oncoming traffic and they seem to think it's OK to pull out and snake through the traffic undertaking and running red lights.

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

LS1 wrote: It does now say 2+ lane. Though I was not able to find anything in the highway code about who can use them.I'll try to get a photo of the actual sign and post. Don't get me wrong, I am not against cyclists as I am one sometimes, but everyone has to give way to oncoming traffic and they seem to think it's OK to pull out and snake through the traffic undertaking and running red lights. Its all good not needed now, tyke confirmed already and linked to the regs of the lane and yes all 2 wheeled traffic can use it.When you say undertaking and snaking BTW you do realise that is exatcly why 2 wheeled transport is better than 4 and 'snaking' and undertaking are both legal for us. Bicycles can undertake the slow traffic (often in a cycle lane) or filter through. My motorcycling cousins cant hop into the cycle lane but they too can filter between the traffic.I have to say its an aquired skill to be able to filter safely, you need to be aware of not only what is around you but also be sure that you can back into the lane before the traffic starts moving again. Luckily in leeds it doesnt move very fast or far very often!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

' 'snaking' and undertaking are both legal for us. Bicycles can undertake the slow traffic' I'd be interested in having a reference to the section of the RTA or Highway code where this is stated.