The smallest-most dangerous cycle path in Leeds?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I thought i'd photographed the smallest cycle path in Leeds.The farcical thing on York road that measures 36 foot.That was until a nice bit of detective work by Kieren.T.C who found one smaller on Nursery lane, Leeds 17.I was wondering if this is the smallest in Leeds?Anyone know of any more?I would say this one has to be the most dangerous cycle path. It encourages you to ride in front of on coming cars coming around a corner, and then to ride on a public footpath.It can be seen herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/324434 ... stream/Are there any smaller guys?    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I thought i'd photographed the smallest cycle path in Leeds.The farcical thing on York road that measures 36 foot.That was until a nice bit of detective work by Kieren.T.C who found one smaller on Nursery lane, Leeds 17.I was wondering if this is the smallest in Leeds?Anyone know of any more?I would say this one has to be the most dangerous cycle path. It encourages you to ride in front of on coming cars coming around a corner, and then to ride on a public footpath.It can be seen herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/324434 ... stream/Are there any smaller guys?     I don't know but these seam to rate !www.geocities.com/utility9danke/pic0001 ... 0003.jpgIf only out of shear undiluted quirkiness.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

simong

Post by simong »

Bramley4woods wrote: I don't know but these seam to rate !www.geocities.com/utility9danke/pic0001 ... 0003.jpgIf only out of shear undiluted quirkiness. If you look closely you can see why that does that: the bike path goes over the bridge so a cyclist has to cross the road that goes below the bridge to get onto it. However, rather than allow the cyclist to veer across the carriageway onto the cycle path, the council has created a T-junction so that a cyclist can get off the road, wait for a gap in the traffic and cross onto the path safely. It looks rather the Western Approach Road in Edinburgh, on which cyclists need all the help they can get. If you've ever crossed the A58/A64 bridge and junction of the end of Wellington Street on a bike you'll know that cycle path marking is a high art. It's impressive that a fair bit of cash has been spent to make a cycle junction a bit safer. Still looks daft though.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I nearly got flattened this morning on one of these new 'dangerous' cycle paths. So dangerous is it I've just sent this e-mail off to the Y.E.P newsdesk. L.C.C what are you thinking lol?.............................Hello.I'm contacting the Y.E.P to see if they would like to feature an article about what has to be the most dangerous Leeds City Council attempt to build a new cycle path. I was lucky enough to just escape being mown down by a man speeding past at 20 m.p.h or more on this spot this morning. He missed hitting me by only a foot. The new cycle path is unbelievably situated right by the side of a bus stop, the bus stop in question in on Roundhay Road near the junction of Copgrove Road. The Google Street view of the location before the cycle path was built is here to get your bearingshttp://g.co/maps/tvjrsThe incident when I was lucky to escape serious injury not only to myself, but the cyclist as well happened this morning. I simply got off the bus and the next thing I knew I heard a loud shout of Oi!!! I jumped out of my skin as this cyclist shot past me within inches, It really made me jump. The last thing you expect is to get off a bus and step into the path of a flying cyclist whizzing past.I actually couldn't believe the mans cheek at shouting at me as if I was in the wrong when he nearly knocked me down, whilst he himself was breaking the law and riding on the footpath with no regards to pedestrians, then I could not believe my eyes. I could not believe the council had actually laid out this new cycle path right next to the bus stop entrance. The cycle path and approaching cyclists was completely blind, you simply could walk off the bus, and out of the bus stop and be knocked down.The cycle path must be very new, It is part of long term road improvements in that area. That bus stop is very busy, It is used by pensioners, and mothers with prams. I dread to think of the potential accidents to occur there. The cycle path is so dangerous it needs taking out of service immediately, It needs to be routed away from the blind spot of the bus stop, and be clearly sign posted, or given satisfactory warning to bus stop users that the cycle path is there.I think the Y.E.P should get a photograph of this ludicrous, and potentially dangerous cycle path. It beggers belief in this day and age how some people in high places allow these things to be passed, especially in this cotton wool society where children are banned from playing harmless games in the playground for fear of injury claims. What were the Council thinking of here?    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Good for you, Phill. IMO cycle lanes are a politically-correct sop. You were unlucky that you got off the bus just as a cyclist was passing, as most of the time they're unused. Only fanatical cyclists use bikes in urban main roads in today's traffic. Only idiots ride bikes in Bradford, where I live, due to its gradients, yet all main roads and a lot of not-so-main roads have valuable space taken up by the ridiculous things. I bet no monitoring of use takes place. Complete waste of money.I'm a cyclist myself (OK that makes me an idiot by my own definition), but only on rural roads and cycle-tracks well away from main roads and commuter traffic. And I have a loud bell to give pedestrians plenty of notice of my approach.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Surely the issue there is the cyclist on the path where there might be pedestrians, not a cyclist using the cycle path?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Geordie-exile wrote: Surely the issue there is the cyclist on the path where there might be pedestrians, not a cyclist using the cycle path? I don't think it's a case of the cyclist, or pedestrian being in the right, or wrong. The issue is the dam stupid Council placing a cycle path right where you step off a bus. How many times have you simply alighted a bus thinking 'Hey. mind the flying cyclist about to knock you down' The Cycle lane runs right by the side of the bus stop, you just can't see it as you get off the bus. As soon as you walk out of the shelter BANG!!

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

Hi Phil,Glad you share my opinion that many of Leeds cycling facilities are badly designed and implemented, blame the insistence by several bodies that cycle paths are the only place to cycle and by using them somehow we are safer.If you've not guessed I'm a keen cyclist, commuting along Kirkstall Road, Woodhouse Lane and Otley Road daily. And I love the fact that for a lot of it I'm sailing past backed up traffic thats going no where!By far the best place for me to be is on the road, visible to other traffic and able to interact safely away from pedestrians. Uno Hoo wrote: Good for you, Phill. IMO cycle lanes are a politically-correct sop. You were unlucky that you got off the bus just as a cyclist was passing, as most of the time they're unused. Only fanatical cyclists use bikes in urban main roads in today's traffic. Only idiots ride bikes in Bradford, where I live, due to its gradients, yet all main roads and a lot of not-so-main roads have valuable space taken up by the ridiculous things. I bet no monitoring of use takes place. Complete waste of money.I'm a cyclist myself (OK that makes me an idiot by my own definition), but only on rural roads and cycle-tracks well away from main roads and commuter traffic. And I have a loud bell to give pedestrians plenty of notice of my approach. Thats a dangerous opinion you have there and also wrong. People that cycle in Bradford are not 'idiots', and the opinion that only 'fanatical' people cycle in todays traffic is about as far from the truth as you can get.Commuting by bicycle and bicycle use in general is on the rise and will only become more popular as the the negatives of car use/public transport become too high.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Im afraid that I have to disagree here.There are some absolute idiot cyclists on todays roads. They dont look, they cycle on paths with complete disregard to pedestrians and traffic coming from side streets, they go through red lights and the wrong way up one way streets, and yet they expect pedestrians to get out of their way.I have this problem most mornings just walking through the city centre to work, its Death Race 3000The proper cyclists who go by the rules these days are far and few between.Rant over ..................
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

buffaloskinner wrote: Im afraid that I have to disagree here.There are some absolute idiot cyclists on todays roads. They dont look, they cycle on paths with complete disregard to pedestrians and traffic coming from side streets, they go through red lights and the wrong way up one way streets, and yet they expect pedestrians to get out of their way.I have this problem most mornings just walking through the city centre to work, its Death Race 3000The proper cyclists who go by the rules these days are far and few between.Rant over .................. I think you missed my point - I'm saying that Uno Hoo is wrong to call anyone that cycles in Bradford 'an idiot' and that 'Only fanatical cyclists use bikes in urban main roads in today's traffic' when in fact bicycle are used by all kinds of people from all walks of life. I do agree that though just as there are idiot drivers and pedestrians, there are also idiot cyclists.But again to describe walking through the city as 'Death Race 2000' gives completely the wrong impression as its certainly not that dangerous! I wont argue that the actions of cyclists as you described are correct (I agree they are not) but again to say that cyclists that go by the rules are 'few and far between' is a misrepresentation of cyclists in general.