Woodhall Lane Mystery Stone.

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Si

Post by Si »

I mentioned this unusual stone a while ago on the Rodley Tombstone thread. It's puzzled me for many years (yeah, I know, I should get out more often!) Anyway, I tried to get a decent photo of it recently, but without much luck. Hopefully, it will be clearer on this sketch I did from memory.It's between Woodhall Hills Golf Club, and Calverley Golf Club, on the left hand side as you travel towards Thornbury roundabout.The dry-stone wall is cut back into the field, about four foot square. The level of the field is flush with the top of the wall. Sitting in the middle, on the pavement, is an accurately cut cube of sandstone, with circles turned into either end. There are no other markings as far as I can tell. I don't believe it's a mounting block for horse riders, as it's too "engineered," although there is/was a horse trough built into the wall on the opposite side of the road, nearby. Anyone know, or have any ideas? Cheers, Si.
Attachments
__TFMF_wjlqdv3hhq0an545wj3mkhmw_bb753698-b194-43a3-b350-058c5c84b30c_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_wjlqdv3hhq0an545wj3mkhmw_bb753698-b194-43a3-b350-058c5c84b30c_0_main.jpg (284.69 KiB) Viewed 3787 times

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

You're on to my home ground here, Si. I don't know the answer, but my dad knows a man who might! Give me a day or two to speak to Dad, and maybe a bit longer to try and get something from the Calverley historian. The stone is very close to the Calverley Millennium Way, which in turn was mapped using the old Calverley Parish Boundary, so it might be something to do with that.U.H.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Si

Post by Si »

Cheers, Uno.I was wondering if it was the base of some sort of monument? The base stone may have been turned on it's side, the circular recess being the mounting. However, this doesn't explain the fact that it is inscribed on both sides. I lived in that area in the 70s, and walked past the stone many times. Have you seen it?

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Hi Si,Must have seen it, but never 'clocked' it. Will be going past tomorrow, so will look out for it.U.H.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Are you an artist Si, that is a good drawing?

Si

Post by Si »

LS1 wrote: Are you an artist Si, that is a good drawing? Thanks, Lee. No, but I used to come top in art at school! I went to art college from '77 to '81, and worked as an art director for about twelve years, in London (in St James's Square) and Leeds (in Brodrick's Buildings, Cookridge Street.) I've just been to have a look at the stone, and my memory has deceived me a little. The circular disc turned into the stone is only on the left hand side. The right hand side has a vertical U-shaped groove running it's entire length. The pavement has been resurfaced so many times, that the stone is now half buried. Also, the surrounding wall is a lot neater than I remember, and has proper ashlar quoins (that's cut and dressed corner stones!)I took some photos, but the weather was a bit grim. I'll try and post them later.The "water trough" on the opposite side of the road, about 30 yards down the hill, looks more like a boundary marker. It's set back into the field, like the other stone, and has a stone plaque set in the back wall marked "D.P.1860."    

simonm

Post by simonm »

LS1 wrote: Are you an artist Si, that is a good drawing? Yeah he's quite an acomplished pi..... good at drawing..
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

simonm wrote: LS1 wrote: Are you an artist Si, that is a good drawing? Yeah he's quite an acomplished pi..... good at drawing.. I hope you can subshtanc......shubsht......substanshia......back that up......'hic'.....................        

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Si

Post by Si »

Cardiarms wrote: This one at the trough?http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/365762 That's the one. There's an old house/barn just up the road which is being worked on. I wonder if that's Daniel Peckover's house?