Origin of "Go throw yourself in the sea"?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
patter

Post by patter »

Does anyone know where this rather amusing sign comes from? It matches other Leeds council tourism signs, placed by the footbridge from The Calls over to Clarence Dock.moblog.co.uk/blogs/1210/moblog_14b173cb8f72c.jpg(can't figure out linking codes for this place)

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

No idea about the sign,but you just need to put the [img][/img] tags aound the url.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

It was part of a project called "Mene Mene":PIPPA HALE, DAVID HAWKINS and STUART TARBUCK 'MENE MENE'16 May - 5 June 2005. Mene Mene is a collaborative art project which locates a series of 13 texts drawn from New Testament texts and filters them around the city centre in a varity of formats from high profile banners and adverts on bus shelters, to more intimate or hidden plaques on benches and engraved paving slabs. The Gable End at Patrick Studios hosts a brightly coloured vinyl banner displaying the words PRAY THIS MAY NOT HAPPEN IN WINTER in the style of kitsch church notice boards. The project is accompanied by a full colour catalogue (ISBN 0-9550217-2-3) with a critical essay written by Stephen Feeke (assistant curator at the Henry Moore Institute), published by Vitrine Publishing.

traveller

Post by traveller »

Could this be the origin of my (current) favourite piece of Leeds' graffiti: "DIRTY IMPURE AND UNCLEAN WASH AWAY YOUR SINS"?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

traveller wrote: Could this be the origin of my (current) favourite piece of Leeds' graffiti: "DIRTY IMPURE AND UNCLEAN WASH AWAY YOUR SINS"? No, it is a variation of "take a long walk on a short pier"
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

traveller

Post by traveller »

I was referring to the reason for it's presence, possibly this "Mene Mene" project, rather than it's grammatical meaning.