rawdon traffic lights clock

Public timepieces, on buildings, churches, etc.
bramley13

Post by bramley13 »

when i went to benton park,there was a clock on the building on the corner of the lights.just before you go through the lights,theres parade of shops,it was there,we used to look at it on the bus,to see if we were late for school.i wonder what happened to it?any one know?i left in 1979

Si

Post by Si »

Do you mean the building by the lights on the right as you travel from Benton Park towards Apperley Bridge? This used to be Crow Trees Post Office and therefore seems a good candidate for a public clock. I guess the clock went the same way as the post office.

bramley13

Post by bramley13 »

not the old post office.when you come from horsforth up to rawdon.theres a parade of shops,on left hand side,ones a bathroom shop,then a moterbike shop.when you stop at the lights the end builing used to have a big clock on it just above the window.it was there years.i only noticed it had vanished,the other day when i passed.

Si

Post by Si »

I know where you mean, now. Sorry, don't know when it went, mate.

bramley13

Post by bramley13 »

im going in to the shop to ask what happened to it seems a good place to start

Si

Post by Si »

Good idea, Bramley13. I drive past there quite often, but I can't figure out exactly where it was. There doesn't appear to be any evidence of brackets, etc in the stonework...well, not to my failing eyesight, anyway!

billy the buffalo

Post by billy the buffalo »

there is a picture of the building in question if you put in Realtex House Rawdon on the Leodis site you will see the building in question..i think that the clock was on the small wall facing the camera..

Si

Post by Si »

Thanks Billy,I assume the clock was where the Pine Interiors white sign is on the end of the building? There's no room above because of the window and stone carving.

bramley13

Post by bramley13 »

im sure the clock was where the window is now,or just above,its the same building as on the leodis site