JAPA Paper Mill Clock + Morley Town Hall

Public timepieces, on buildings, churches, etc.
Happy Valley

Re: JAPA Paper Mill Clock + Morley Town Hall

Post by Happy Valley »

Greens and Saddlers names both ring a bell with me now. I just remember all the butchers’ shops being over the other side of the row from the toy shop, and don’t remember any backing on to Queen Street itself, from what I always remember as the fruit and veg section of the market.

The butchers all backed on to Hope Street, with the rough ground carpark behind the pub between the upper and lower side doors of the market. As you came in from Queen Street the sweet shop was the first shop on the left but everything on the right that backed on to the side of the Queens pub in the fruit and veg hall is long gone from my memory I’m afraid. I can’t picture in my head where the fresh fish stalls were at all. I do remember the pet shop though.

I still lived in Morley when the new market extension was built in probably 1983/4, which probably didn’t make a great deal of sense because Peel Market had only been open a couple of years or so, and in a small town there was really only so much market stall business that could turn a profit and survive.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Oops, not being a Morleyite I forgot that Queen St is the main street, you are correct with Hope St, Coming I through the front door the sweet shop was on the left then Kelly's Fruit shop, a entrance to the back of the market for storage etc. then my fruit shop on the corner and next door, then Albert Bentley's Wet Fish shop, Ronnie Connells fruit and veg, a clothes shop, Grenwoods who sold all sorts of food preparations. finally the open market with stalls and shops opposite the side entrance. back at the top on the right as you came in was a Sort of Chemist's , then a frozen food shop. without going on two much it was Fawcetts fruit and veg. plus the Butchers. It was only in later years that Fawcetts were allowed to trade in the car park.
Happy days in there and the Queens (and the Slip)

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

I know this is supposed to be about Japa Paper Mill but whilst on the subject of the Market just outside the front door on Queen St. was Greens butchers who sold the finest Pork pies I have ever tasted , then or since.

edlong

Post by edlong »

I remember Wilf Wade's - my old man knew Wilf and we always got a good deal from him on a Saturday morning - I don't remember the potted beef, we were generally more 'ham on t'bone' customers. His unit was what I'd describe as 'central' so it had a frontage onto both the main walkways - his was roughly opposite the eggs 'n' tripe stall - so facing Saddlers, but nearer the Queen Street entrance.

I also remember Laneside Mills (JAPA) - great place to explore - my childhood coincided with it's latter years sadly, and I was away when it disappeared - came back to Morley and it was all houses, bar one tiny, tiny workshop that still, I think survives, a bit like one of those "hold out" houses you see in China, where a whole motorway stops because one person refused to sell..

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I remember where the turn off to Laneside aka Japa Mills was there used to be a fine old manor house called Churwell Grange that was occupied in its then dilapedated state by a cranky old man who would chase you off the grounds if you were caught on the premises.

There used to be a packing / removals company next to Laneside Mills called Atlantis Packaging who kindly gave us tons of wood - plywood / hardboard and pallets from which my pals and I made a skateboard mini halfpipe thing on the grounds of the old St Peters Church school off Churwell Hill.

Later on we moved said structure to the actual interior of the then derelict Laneside Mill which must have been used as a leather works as I recall seeing some very disturbing signage around the interior of the place warning about Anthrax infection and the symptoms to look out for before seeking medical attention... very scary!

Our skateboard ramp was demolished inside the mill by unknown persons and within a few weeks of this happening the whole place mysteriously burned to the ground! I can remember seeing the glow of the roof well alight from my mums place a mile or so away one evening. No doubt some insurance job that they blamed on pesky local kids while they lined their pockets. It was a listed building until the blaze destroyed large parts of it and doubtless the fire did away with any need to stick to conservation practices when redeveloping - very convenient for them!
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Ive not been up to Morley for many years now, I recall most of the places where I played as a child between Churwell Hill and the M621 motorway all the way up to the top of Bruntcliffe Hill have been developed for residential housing or industrial units. Its like that saying "eeh when I were a lad this was all fields..."!!! Especially where the old Springfield Mills once stood which was a vast plot of land. Its all filled in with Barrett type mock Edwardian houses.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Happy Valley

Post by Happy Valley »

I've got a different picture of the mill.

Well yet again the image didn't display after posting or in preview, so have the link from inside the img tags instead.

http://imgur.com/GE4FCaY

Morley has always had its fair share of mill fires Jon. The first fire engines in Morley were paid for by the mill owners, but I know just what you mean though.

I’ve a decent selection of old Morley photos that I’ve found online, so I can look at it how I remember it when I want to. I forget a lot of the street names but others you never forget, and some you never forget like Queen Street, you find out were once called something else.

It’s 30 years since I lived there now and many of the places I remember playing or exploring are long gone now. I’m just the same with my family though, when I were a lad etc. Trouble is they are all from over here and finding old pictures online of how it used to be to show them, is a bit hit and miss with Leodis and many places there is just nothing to find for them to see how it was to bring it to life. It means nothing to them when we visit, but to me in my heart it will always be home.

Half of my family is buried there, so I still go over a few times a year to visit family graves, but it is many years since I saw anyone I used to know when I have a wonder around the town. I’ve still got distant family over there but I haven’t spoken to any of them for years.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Happy Valley wrote:I've got a different picture of the mill.

Well yet again the image didn't display after posting or in preview, so have the link from inside the img tags instead.

http://imgur.com/GE4FCaY

Morley has always had its fair share of mill fires Jon. The first fire engines in Morley were paid for by the mill owners, but I know just what you mean though.

I’ve a decent selection of old Morley photos that I’ve found online, so I can look at it how I remember it when I want to. I forget a lot of the street names but others you never forget, and some you never forget like Queen Street, you find out were once called something else.

It’s 30 years since I lived there now and many of the places I remember playing or exploring are long gone now. I’m just the same with my family though, when I were a lad etc. Trouble is they are all from over here and finding old pictures online of how it used to be to show them, is a bit hit and miss with Leodis and many places there is just nothing to find for them to see how it was to bring it to life. It means nothing to them when we visit, but to me in my heart it will always be home.

Half of my family is buried there, so I still go over a few times a year to visit family graves, but it is many years since I saw anyone I used to know when I have a wonder around the town. I’ve still got distant family over there but I haven’t spoken to any of them for years.

Zoar Street is the one I always think of when I remember Morley because it had a "Dogs Leg" turn to let you drive out half way down the hill.
Though I lived in Leeds I always had great affection for Morley, both the place and the people.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

jonleeds wrote:Ive not been up to Morley for many years now, I recall most of the places where I played as a child between Churwell Hill and the M621 motorway all the way up to the top of Bruntcliffe Hill have been developed for residential housing or industrial units. Its like that saying "eeh when I were a lad this was all fields..."!!! Especially where the old Springfield Mills once stood which was a vast plot of land. Its all filled in with Barrett type mock Edwardian houses.
Some years ago I used to buy and sell full size Snooker tables and I got a call from a man one day who lived in Lightcliffe near Halifax. I drove up and down looking for the house for ages then found an Archway which took me through grounds and finally to this grand Mansion type of house. The owner showed me around this palatial property and into the Billiard room. He explained that the house was divided into two and though he lived there with his wife, daughter and her family they were selling it to the Asian guy who owned the other half. To give you an idea what the place was like the grand staircase swept up onto a landing which met the dividing wall so in essence the staircase went completely round the property. It was magnificent though in need of some restoration . Whilst we were arranging for my men to dismantle and remove the table, quite a heavy job, he told me the house had been built on the instructions of Titus Salt for his Daughter and now . He was now moving to Rooms Lane, Morley into a Barrett house.
I nearly collapsed.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

j.c.d. wrote:
jonleeds wrote:Ive not been up to Morley for many years now, I recall most of the places where I played as a child between Churwell Hill and the M621 motorway all the way up to the top of Bruntcliffe Hill have been developed for residential housing or industrial units. Its like that saying "eeh when I were a lad this was all fields..."!!! Especially where the old Springfield Mills once stood which was a vast plot of land. Its all filled in with Barrett type mock Edwardian houses.
Some years ago I used to buy and sell full size Snooker tables and I got a call from a man one day who lived in Lightcliffe near Halifax. I drove up and down looking for the house for ages then found an Archway which took me through grounds and finally to this grand Mansion type of house. The owner showed me around this palatial property and into the Billiard room. He explained that the house was divided into two and though he lived there with his wife, daughter and her family they were selling it to the Asian guy who owned the other half. To give you an idea what the place was like the grand staircase swept up onto a landing which met the dividing wall so in essence the staircase went completely round the property. It was magnificent though in need of some restoration . Whilst we were arranging for my men to dismantle and remove the table, quite a heavy job, he told me the house had been built on the instructions of Titus Salt for his Daughter and now . He was now moving to Rooms Lane, Morley into a Barrett house.
I nearly collapsed.
P.S. That's not Titus Salt moving to Rooms Lane though he was a Morley lad.