H Stone Leeds ( clockmaker/retailer ?)

Public timepieces, on buildings, churches, etc.
jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Reading raveydavey's forum starter on Potts clocks reminded me of my granddad's pocket watch. I reckon it dates from the late 19th/early 20th century and bears "H. Stone Leeds" on its enamelled face. It is not in the best of health but still works and keeps time (of sorts). The link below shows a far better example than mine but is similar even so. Can anyone shed any light on this company?                            http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.ph ... opic=30057

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Harris Stone was a wholesale jeweler in the 1917 Kellys at 13 St Alban's St

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Is Potts the clock makers still going? I can remember cycling past it in the 1990s when I was living in the Burley area in a shared student house. I was amazed that such a place still existed.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Michael Potts (?) seems to have commented on every Potts clock picture on Leodis. Nearly always saying the same thing.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

POTTS CLOCKS on Flickr:http://flic.kr/g/9V2L1

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

JonLeeds, William Potts & Sons Ltd is still in existence but it is part of Smiths of Derby now. Here is a shot of their place on Bankfield Terrace from 2009. The painted brick on the gable end shown is where the entrance to the Haddon Hall Cinema was.
Attachments
Potts on Bankfield Terrace.jpg
Potts on Bankfield Terrace.jpg (63.18 KiB) Viewed 17269 times