A celebration of Potts Clocks

Public timepieces, on buildings, churches, etc.
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took this photo on August 20 2014 of a Potts clock in East Keswick (that is a village/parish of Leeds, so suitable for a SL thread). I shall post a close-up view of the clock in my next post.
Attachments
002R.jpg
002R.jpg (88.23 KiB) Viewed 21389 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is the photo (taken August 20 2014) showing the close-up view of the clock. The time shown is correct . It would though perhaps have been better if it had been say 2:45 p.m. as then the clock hands would not have covered the full name which I have found is 'Potts & Sons Leeds'.
Attachments
003R.jpg
003R.jpg (131.69 KiB) Viewed 21389 times

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

There is a lecture on Potts Clocks on Saturday 27th September at 11.00 am in the Lecture Room at Leeds Industrial Museum, Armley. It costs £20 and is organised by the West Yorkshire branch of the Art Fund. The talk coincides with an exhibition at the museum. There are stairs, so there is limited disabled access. There is a booking form for tickets. I will try to get more information and post any contact details on this thread.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Dalehelms wrote: There is a lecture on Potts Clocks on Saturday 27th September at 11.00 am in the Lecture Room at Leeds Industrial Museum, Armley. It costs £20 and is organised by the West Yorkshire branch of the Art Fund. The talk coincides with an exhibition at the museum. There are stairs, so there is limited disabled access. There is a booking form for tickets. I will try to get more information and post any contact details on this thread. This month's (Oct 2014) 'Yorkshire Ridings' magazine has a four page article with pictures devoted to William Potts and an exhibition at Armley Mills. It says that the last Potts clock was made in 1962 but fails to add where it may now be found. Perhaps a trip to Armley may help shed some more light? There is no additional charge - only the usual entry fee.                                                         More at:    http://www.leeds.gov.uk/museumsandgalle ... acter.aspx                                     The exhibition runs until 28 September.

Brunel

Re: A celebration of Potts Clocks

Post by Brunel »

Finally heading off for restoration.

http://www.oakwoodclock.co.uk/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

It's good to see that Oakwood Clock is going to have restoration work. :)

I wonder if Potts made the tower as well as the clock? If not both then is it known who made the tower?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

I only discovered the other day that the clock on the clock tower at Seacroft hospital is a Potts clock. I remember being surprised by how small and relatively simplistic the mechanism looked amidst the huge water tanks.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

chameleon wrote:I only discovered the other day that the clock on the clock tower at Seacroft hospital is a Potts clock. I remember being surprised by how small and relatively simplistic the mechanism looked amidst the huge water tanks.
You'd be surprised by how small the Town Hall clock mechanism is.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

A case of 'Less is more'!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

LS1 wrote:
chameleon wrote:I only discovered the other day that the clock on the clock tower at Seacroft hospital is a Potts clock. I remember being surprised by how small and relatively simplistic the mechanism looked amidst the huge water tanks.
You'd be surprised by how small the Town Hall clock mechanism is.
The clock.. (although not a Pott's clock)
Attachments
DSC00212.JPG
DSC00212.JPG (640.6 KiB) Viewed 20799 times