Guinness Clock - Corn Exchange

Public timepieces, on buildings, churches, etc.
slw

Post by slw »

Thanks for the pic Blakey (and to everyone else who tried to find one)

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Geordie-exile wrote: Hurray! Am I remembering correctly that across the bottom montage, lights would illuminate alternately as if a ball was being thrown back and forth? I may be thinking of a later incarnation of this gable end. Wasnt there two seals passing a pint of guiness back and forth?

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

That's probably what I'm thinking of Loiner.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

just look what ive found lolall credit to buffalloskinner    
Attachments
__TFMF_jljqz3rfg2gdut45kpefrd55_af09ecab-b07d-41a3-b9a5-a2396169a995_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_jljqz3rfg2gdut45kpefrd55_af09ecab-b07d-41a3-b9a5-a2396169a995_0_main.jpg (81.62 KiB) Viewed 96734 times
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Brandy wrote: just look what ive found lolall credit to buffalloskinner     Can anyone hazard a guess to the year of the pic ? The Guinness Clock is not there in September 1955 according to Leodishttp://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIde ... AY=FULLThe clock is not there in 1969http://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/se ... 499171284/    

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

uncle mick wrote: Can anyone hazard a guess to the year of the pic ? The Guinness Clock is not there in September 1955 according to Leodishttp://www.leodis.org/displresourceIdentifier= ... AY=FULLThe clock is not there in 1969http://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/se ... 499171284/ Just at present I can't find the date when the West Riding buses to Rothwell and Wakefield/Kettelthorpe ceased to use the Corn Exchange island (one is there in this picture) and were banished to their new mini bus station in York Street. LCT bus number 700 (a former Motor Show exhibit) was withdrawn on 11th July 1969.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

http://www.guinntiques.com/clocks.aspx    .I havent time to look on here this morning but maybe this site will have a pic?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

BLAKEY wrote: Just at present I can't find the date when the West Riding buses to Rothwell and Wakefield/Kettelthorpe ceased to use the Corn Exchange island (one is there in this picture) and were banished to their new mini bus station in York Street. LCT bus number 700 (a former Motor Show exhibit) was withdrawn on 11th July 1969. Taken from Flickr a quote from busman 91The alterations to the Corn Exchange island were rather complex but I've sifted through for these dates which, I must say, have surprised me too now I've seen them. However, after a very brief spell when the West Riding buses used their CX roadway curve in the opposite direction they finally moved into their own new Bus Station on October 9th 1956. The last number 14 tram had run on 30th October 1953 so the two events were not as time connected as I had thought. Completion of the Corn Exchange island in the form we know it today was on 22nd January 1957.What do you think BLAKEY ?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

uncle mick wrote: [Taken from Flickr a quote from busman 91The alterations to the Corn Exchange island were rather complex but I've sifted through for these dates which, I must say, have surprised me too now I've seen them. However, after a very brief spell when the West Riding buses used their CX roadway curve in the opposite direction they finally moved into their own new Bus Station on October 9th 1956. The last number 14 tram had run on 30th October 1953 so the two events were not as time connected as I had thought. Completion of the Corn Exchange island in the form we know it today was on 22nd January 1957.What do you think BLAKEY ? Thanks Uncle Mick - at least we can now narrow the photo down then to between September 1955 and October 8th 1956. Incidentally I don't recall writing the above info about the dates, but must have done - the old grey matter is getting dodgy from time to time now !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

BLAKEY wrote: uncle mick wrote: [Taken from Flickr a quote from busman 91The alterations to the Corn Exchange island were rather complex but I've sifted through for these dates which, I must say, have surprised me too now I've seen them. However, after a very brief spell when the West Riding buses used their CX roadway curve in the opposite direction they finally moved into their own new Bus Station on October 9th 1956. The last number 14 tram had run on 30th October 1953 so the two events were not as time connected as I had thought. Completion of the Corn Exchange island in the form we know it today was on 22nd January 1957.What do you think BLAKEY ? Thanks Uncle Mick - at least we can now narrow the photo down then to between September 1955 and October 8th 1956. Incidentally I don't recall writing the above info about the dates, but must have done - the old grey matter is getting dodgy from time to time now !! So you are busman 91. How ironic I pick up that quote from the internet and ask you about it