Guinness Clock - Corn Exchange

Public timepieces, on buildings, churches, etc.
biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

It would be interesting to get a date for that latest photo Uncle Mick.Is that a CCTV installation at the top of the post?Also, how come your post is dated May 18?

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

A colour version.
Attachments
__TFMF_4f5cth451hka3ai0bm1opyqs_a0c48f3c-3e10-496e-aa5c-14003a0bb037_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_4f5cth451hka3ai0bm1opyqs_a0c48f3c-3e10-496e-aa5c-14003a0bb037_0_main.jpg (405.07 KiB) Viewed 76537 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

BLAKEY wrote: uncle mick wrote: Can anyone hazard a guess to the year of the pic ? The Guinness Clock is not there in September 1955 according to Leodishttp://www.leodis.org/displresourceIdentifier= ... AY=FULLThe clock is not there in 1969http://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/se ... 499171284/ Just at present I can't find the date when the West Riding buses to Rothwell and Wakefield/Kettelthorpe ceased to use the Corn Exchange island (one is there in this picture) and were banished to their new mini bus station in York Street. LCT bus number 700 (a former Motor Show exhibit) was withdrawn on 11th July 1969. Hi Blakey, Nice to see you again at the Bramley reunion! I can remember ,around 1948-52 catching a tram that took me and my mother home up Armley Rd.It turned left from the Calls into the tram stop just under what later became the Guinness Clock. I think it was a number 14 and it stood about 10 mins before setting off. We caught this tram regularly when we went into Leeds on a Sat.I think I remember that a Wakefield bus also used this terminus but it came in the opposite way ,so it would have been wide enough for them side by side. I recall being sat on the tram and looking across at the passengers on the bus who stared back! It would be great if someone had a picture of this!
ex-Armley lad

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

stutterdog wrote: BLAKEY wrote: uncle mick wrote: Can anyone hazard a guess to the year of the pic ? The Guinness Clock is not there in September 1955 according to Leodishttp://www.leodis.org/displresourceIdentifier= ... AY=FULLThe clock is not there in 1969http://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/se ... 499171284/ Just at present I can't find the date when the West Riding buses to Rothwell and Wakefield/Kettelthorpe ceased to use the Corn Exchange island (one is there in this picture) and were banished to their new mini bus station in York Street. LCT bus number 700 (a former Motor Show exhibit) was withdrawn on 11th July 1969. Hi Blakey, Nice to see you again at the Bramley reunion! I can remember ,around 1948-52 catching a tram that took me and my mother home up Armley Rd.It turned left from the Calls into the tram stop just under what later became the Guinness Clock. I think it was a number 14 and it stood about 10 mins before setting off. We caught this tram regularly when we went into Leeds on a Sat.I think I remember that a Wakefield bus also used this terminus but it came in the opposite way ,so it would have been wide enough for them side by side. I recall being sat on the tram and looking across at the passengers on the bus who stared back! It would be great if someone had a picture of this! A couple of photos of the terminus the bottom photo is from 1912 salt 'n pepper wrote: It would be interesting to get a date for that latest photo Uncle Mick.Is that a CCTV installation at the top of the post?Also, how come your post is dated May 18? This thread appeared again of its own accord, there must be some gremlins in the works             
Attachments
guinness clock 2.jpg
guinness clock 2.jpg (167.16 KiB) Viewed 76540 times

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

uncle mick wrote: stutterdog wrote: BLAKEY wrote: uncle mick wrote: Can anyone hazard a guess to the year of the pic ? The Guinness Clock is not there in September 1955 according to Leodishttp://www.leodis.org/displresourceIdentifier= ... AY=FULLThe clock is not there in 1969http://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/se ... 499171284/ Just at present I can't find the date when the West Riding buses to Rothwell and Wakefield/Kettelthorpe ceased to use the Corn Exchange island (one is there in this picture) and were banished to their new mini bus station in York Street. LCT bus number 700 (a former Motor Show exhibit) was withdrawn on 11th July 1969. Hi Blakey, Nice to see you again at the Bramley reunion! I can remember ,around 1948-52 catching a tram that took me and my mother home up Armley Rd.It turned left from the Calls into the tram stop just under what later became the Guinness Clock. I think it was a number 14 and it stood about 10 mins before setting off. We caught this tram regularly when we went into Leeds on a Sat.I think I remember that a Wakefield bus also used this terminus but it came in the opposite way ,so it would have been wide enough for them side by side. I recall being sat on the tram and looking across at the passengers on the bus who stared back! It would be great if someone had a picture of this! A couple of photos of the terminus the bottom photo is from 1912 salt 'n pepper wrote: It would be interesting to get a date for that latest photo Uncle Mick.Is that a CCTV installation at the top of the post?Also, how come your post is dated May 18? This thread appeared again of its own accord, there must be some gremlins in the works Thanks Uncle Mick, the very photo appears as you say As if by magic! You do some times doubt your own recollections,we are going back 60 odd years here! Thanks again!            
ex-Armley lad

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

This triangular building was demolished circa 1910 to make way for the Corn Exchange bus/tram island.Pic from Leedsface (Kevin Moyles)

BLAKEY

Re: Guinness Clock - Corn Exchange

Post by BLAKEY »

Can anyone spot something highly irregular about the West Riding bus on the island ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

BLAKEY wrote:Can anyone spot something highly irregular about the West Riding bus on the island ??
Hi Blakey :).

Where is the image that it is in please?

In the fascinating images posted by uncle mick on Fri 31 May, 2013 I noticed that on the right in the one with the bus with the Heinz Tomato Ketchup advert there is Hills Furnishers. They must have therefore have moved a short way at some stage in view of the recent fire at their premises on Kirkgate.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote:
BLAKEY wrote:Can anyone spot something highly irregular about the West Riding bus on the island ??
Hi Blakey :).

Where is the image that it is in please?

In the fascinating images posted by uncle mick on Fri 31 May, 2013 I noticed that on the right in the one with the bus with the Heinz Tomato Ketchup advert there is Hills Furnishers. They must have therefore have moved a short way at some stage in view of the recent fire at their premises on Kirkgate.
Could it be one obscured by a shelter in the first of Uncle Mick's photos. There does appear to be a double-decker and wondering whether that's what Blakey means as from my very limited memory I seem to only recall single deck West Riding buses.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

davidrobert339

Post by davidrobert339 »

Did you know they the shop window of Dysons used to wind down into the cellar at closing time as security