Guinness Clock - Corn Exchange

Public timepieces, on buildings, churches, etc.
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Quite a popular lass, your missus, then?uno hoo - I just got that, v.good.K Waterhouse was always going on about a flashing bovril sign somewhere there?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

uncle mick wrote: So you are busman 91. How ironic I pick up that quote from the internet and ask you about it Oh wow, yes, I hadn't noticed it was under one of my other names from different forums - an amazing coincidence
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

uncle mick wrote: BLAKEY wrote: uncle mick wrote: [Taken from Flickr a quote from busman 91The alterations to the Corn Exchange island were rather complex but I've sifted through for these dates which, I must say, have surprised me too now I've seen them. However, after a very brief spell when the West Riding buses used their CX roadway curve in the opposite direction they finally moved into their own new Bus Station on October 9th 1956. The last number 14 tram had run on 30th October 1953 so the two events were not as time connected as I had thought. Completion of the Corn Exchange island in the form we know it today was on 22nd January 1957.What do you think BLAKEY ? Thanks Uncle Mick - at least we can now narrow the photo down then to between September 1955 and October 8th 1956. Incidentally I don't recall writing the above info about the dates, but must have done - the old grey matter is getting dodgy from time to time now !! So you are busman 91. How ironic I pick up that quote from the internet and ask you about it The photograph that Brandy found earlier this year is now ( - or was it always?) at this link.....http://www.sct61.org.uk/ld700....along with many more great bus snaps around the city.Anyway, the reason for resurrecting the thread is because posters were very keen on the actual date of the photograph.The narrative at the link contains this detail of the when and where....Photo taken by John Kaye, Thursday 5 April 1956, Corn Exchange, Leeds

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

Isnt it awful when you can see the Toucan in your mind butdont have a photo of it.I used to stand there when I was 16 in 1963 waiting for myfriend to go to the pictures at the Odeon. I remember the flashing ball thrown by two Seals and oncethey had a beautiful coloured Toucan who was throwing hisbeak in the air but cant remember if he had anything to throw.As mentioned before it was a meeting place because of all thebuses who stopped around there.As for the ladies of the night, I cant remember any of thosethere unless it was because I was so naieve.It brightened up the Winter nights watching those Guinessadverts especially with a friend like mine who wouldconstantly miss her bus and we were late for the flicks.p.s. Just remember the Toucan was throwing his head andbeak in the air and drinking a glass of Guiness of course laugh.
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I found this good late 1980's shot of the bus island. I never realised they painted the mural over an old painted ghost ad. And look at that four sided clock, I'd forgotten all about that one.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Don't know if this has been linked to before, but it's the best photo of the Guinness clock I've seen so far.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

[quotenick="Phill_dvsn"]Don't know if this has been linked to before, but it's the best photo of the Guinness clock I've seen so far.Wasn't this BLAKEYS photo ??

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

[quotenick="uncle mick"] Phill_dvsn wrote: Don't know if this has been linked to before, but it's the best photo of the Guinness clock I've seen so far.Wasn't this BLAKEYS photo ?? Scanned out of this book Mick

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

[quotenick="Phill_dvsn"][quotenick="uncle mick"] Phill_dvsn wrote: Don't know if this has been linked to before, but it's the best photo of the Guinness clock I've seen so far.Wasn't this BLAKEYS photo ?? Scanned out of this book MickThere's a smaller version of the pic on page 2 of this thread

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

From "leedsface" on Facebook. Photo by Kevin Moyles